Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

How many loads

Old 11-29-2003, 09:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default How many loads

I have gotten to the point that I drive myself nuts trying to manage 3 or 4 loads for each rifle. I am going to try to settle on one load for each rifle and cut down on the different powder and bullets that I need to try to stock. I have enough rifles to cover most shooting needs this way. Anyone else have the same trouble? Reloading all sorts of different loads used to be fun but maybe I am getting burned out at the bench.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many loads

It does get to be a problem having more than one rifle in a caliber all with their own load . Now I try to load one round that can be used in all the rifles I have in that caliber . I do have some target setups that I load just for them , or when I only have one rifle in a caliber ,but the rest get the same fodder.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

For years I have had either a 243 or a 250 Savage which I tried to load a varmit load and a deer load. Then comes the change in sighting the scope and most powders suitable for varmit loads are less than ideal for heavy loads. Now I have a 223 Nef that shoots real well so I will load that for varmit and load the 250 and 257 Roberts for just deer loads. The 308 Savage with the accu trigger will be loaded for long range ( to 400) yards for deer but I could load a varmit load if I were to take a trip just for dogs or long range coyote. That would give me wind bucking power that the 223 just won' t deliver. Its time to de-complicate my loading a little I also load for the 6.5x55, 260, 303 British, 280 Rem , 7.65 Russian and 45-70. Plus 9MM and 357 Mag and 44 Magnum. I just traded off my 22-250 but will pick up one of those again later with the accu-trigger.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:58 PM

James, I agreed with you a few years ago. Of my three hunting rifles, I only load the .300 Wby. for two bullet weights and they both print to the same point with the same trajectory at least according to my Pact chronograph. I load to a trajectory that matches the scope drop table and don' t worry about getting the fastest load possible. The two varmint rifles have one load each. Life is too short to make complications for myself.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Amen. My 6.5x55 will shoot the 120 grain Ballistic tip and the 129 grain Hornady SP to within one inch of each other at 100 yards. The 257 Roberts is much more finicky. cahnge that bullet by ten grains and your talking 4-5 inches difference.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:27 PM

For the little bit of deer hunting I do anymore I have 1 load that Ive used in my 270 for about 30 years now. Next year I' m going to use my new (to me) Win Featherwieght in 257 Rob. I' ll play with 117-120gr bullets til I find an accurate load towards the Max. side of the listings and that will be the load for that gun.
With the Contenders and all the diffrent bbls. I' ve tried. I work with a few diffrent powders and bullets but since there just used for paper punching I stop at accurate and don' t mess with it anymore. Even writing down all the info, ballistics and technical data, it still gets confusing.

Old 11-30-2003, 11:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have different loads for different firearms depending on the species I am hunting, or for just having fun at the range. The only way I keep them straight is by using a index card note book if I ever loose that note book, I will have my work cut out for me. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

KTSCONTENDER. The most accurate bullet I found in my Roberts is the Nosler 115 Balistic tip and IMR 4831. I got a couple groups under 1/2 inch with that load at 2749 fps.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:59 AM

ORIGINAL: James B

KTSCONTENDER. The most accurate bullet I found in my Roberts is the Nosler 115 Balistic tip and IMR 4831. I got a couple groups under 1/2 inch with that load at 2749 fps.
Now thats funny, I just picked up a box of those Noslers and also a box of Sierras 120gr. H4831SC is my favorite powder and I' ll try that 1st, Sierra lists the IMR 3031 as the most accurate with their 120s and the best part is I have 10 months to fiddle with it
I also have a 25-3030 Contender I' ve been playing with and want to test these bullets in that bbl also. Be nice to find one to work in both then i can buy bulk and never worry about bullets again

Old 12-01-2003, 08:21 AM

James,

Which NEF .223 do you have? I have one with the bull barrel and the cantilevered scope rail. I have yet to reload for it, but with the cheap Win. varmint CXP1 (40 rounds in white box) It will group under half inch.

So I' m wondering, what load/powder have you tried?

Quick Reply: How many loads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.