Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Barnes Bullets

Old 11-20-2003, 12:23 PM
Spike

Default Barnes Bullets

I wanted to shoot the 120 grain Barnes XBT in my 7mm-08 Encore, but couldn' t get it to group under 5 inches at 100yds. Then I shot some 120gr Nosler BT' s, after cleaning the barrel as good as I could. This load shot hole for hole, but was with a different powder. How many shots do you normally get between cleaning the barrel with the Barnes bullets? My barrel is the color of the bullets now. Could the powders cause that much differnce in group size???
Old 11-20-2003, 03:20 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Barnes Bullets

Thats just barnes. Try the coated ones. With Barnes, Trophy bonded or Siroccos, or failsafes, I get horrible copper fouling after 10 rounds or less. I am looking forward to the Tripleshocks due to this.

Old 11-21-2003, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I get 1" groupes with BarnesX and XLC bullets in a 30-06 Sako, 7mm Rem Mag Sako, 300 Win Mag Savage and 300 Wby Mag Weatherby Vanguard. I get 1.5" groups with a 308 Win Savage youth/ladies. I guess it all depends on the gun and load. I' m lucky that they shoot well in our rifles. I had horrible luck with Failsafes in a couple of those guns.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 11-23-2003, 10:23 AM

Did you clean your barrel down to the steel? To get the x-bullet to shoot without fouling you need to remove ALL the copper from your bore. Give this a try it may solve your problem.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have only used the 210-grain X in my .375 H&H. But it is pretty accurate!
Old 11-23-2003, 06:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Some guns will not shoot Barnes X bullets. This no matter what you do or what powder or anything else. I shoot them in the rifles that I have that shoot well with them and just forget it if they won,t. The new Tripple shock x bullets are supposed to be a big improvement in this area. My 257 Robert shoots them well. My 22-250 would not group under 12 inches with them. It shot great with Partition and Hornady and Ballistic tips. It happens.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I must be the exception ot the rule because I have been shooting Barnes bullets for years and have never found a rifle that wouldn' t shoot them . I currently shoot them in seven different calibers and all of them will shoot close to or under 1" at a 100 yards .
Old 11-24-2003, 10:57 AM

I have found the new TSX to still foul the barrel pretty bad even after just one shot. The XLC on the other hand fouls very little and is just as good performance-wise as the rest of the X-family of bullets.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:00 PM
Typical Buck

My experience with barnes has been good. You must remember to completely clean your barrel of copper before using the Barnes bullets. This can take alot of time if you haven' t been cleaning your rifle regularly. When someone brings a neglected gun for me to clean I usually use Sweet' s 7.62 to remove all of the copper. I also use JB' s paste from Brownell' s on really stubborn copper. I' ve been handloading for a long time and most of the rifles that won' t shoot the Barnes good are because the barrel wasn' t clean when they began shooting. I would not go more than 20 rounds without fully cleaning the barrel while using the X bullets. This is just the experience that I' ve had.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good advice. I have however talked to two or three people at barnes and they readily admit that some barrels just wont shoot the X bullet well. I hope the triple shock solves the problem because if they would shoot well in all my guns, I would never even look at another bullet. Nothing else performs quite like the Barnes X and its a great bullet.

Quick Reply: Barnes Bullets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.