Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Annealing  machine? >

Annealing machine?

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Annealing machine?

Old 02-08-2020, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Annealing machine?

Does anyone here use a special purpose machine when/if they anneal brass?
Old 02-08-2020, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used various annealing machines for years. The Benchsource was the first I had. I built my own Annealeez, then bought a Giraud, upgraded that with an Annie induction annealer after piloting my own induction coil, and most recently bought an AMP + Amp Mate.

Induction annealing is the “bee’s knees.” Most consistent method, and the automated feeding process means I can set up the machine and have my hands free to do other tasks in my workshop while it does its job.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am thinking about an induction machine like the Annie. The auto feed device would be great for high volume but I will use it manually for my purposes. The machines keep getting better and the prices keep rising.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

AMP (Annealing Made Perfect) makes a nice induction one for just under $200. Pretty nifty one without the use of gas. https://www.ampannealing.com/
Old 02-09-2020, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
AMP (Annealing Made Perfect) makes a nice induction one for just under $200. Pretty nifty one without the use of gas. https://www.ampannealing.com/
I think you missed a Zero. I’d have 4 AMP’s instead of just one if they were only $200!

The Giraud auto feeder for the Annie is a huge advantage - otherwise you can end up introducing inconsistency in your exposure time.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
I think you missed a Zero. I’d have 4 AMP’s instead of just one if they were only $200!

The Giraud auto feeder for the Annie is a huge advantage - otherwise you can end up introducing inconsistency in your exposure time.
Considering that the Annie has a reliable timer function, how does the Giraud improve timing consistency? I can understand that the Giraud will likely center the case better than manual use but I do not follow the comment about timing.

Overall how did you like the Annie unit? The price of roughly $600 (with coil and cooler) seems fair enough - if it is a good machine.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Distance from the coil is critical, plus, the coil does get quite hot. The consistency in position and the ability to consistently drop the cartridge from the coil gap. Any induction annealing is better than any flame annealing, but the automated feeder does improve the process.

Nothing wrong at all with the Annie, and with the Giraud feeder, a guy has options - go induction or go gas flame. I just wanted a little more speed in set up and the precision/adaptability of the Aztec mode to perfect my cycle time. Using a case feeder and the amp mate on an AMP, a guy can dump cases in the feeder and walk away. The Giraud feeder has to have cases oriented in the hopper. Not a big deal, but it’s a difference.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I appreciate the information and opinion. Thanks much.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Nomercy448

Yep, looks like I did.

Old 07-22-2022, 06:59 AM
Spike

I have an AMP annealer. These things are awesome and well worth the money IMO.