Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
loading the 270 WSM >

loading the 270 WSM

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

loading the 270 WSM

Old 06-19-2019, 07:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default loading the 270 WSM

I'm awaiting to receive my rifle and decided that because of the price of ammo for it I might as well start loading for it. Does anyone have a good load. Mm
​​​​​​​y research is showing that Magpro powder is a good one. I have Barnes TSX 140 gr bullets on order along with win brass.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a 270 WSM for a short while. Mine did not feed smoothly so it went away. I did not have extensive load testing but the slower Reloader powders and IMR 7828 seemed to be promising.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

yes the slower burners were my conclusion also. But Magpro is out of the question as no one around me carries it. IMR7828 may be an option as well as H4831. Guess I'll be doing some more research on this.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

My cousin had a blr in 270wsm. It also had feeding issues. He eventually went to a .300wsm blr and seems to like that.

Hopefully with the quality of your rifle you won't have the same troubles.

-Jake
Old 06-20-2019, 08:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
My cousin had a blr in 270wsm. It also had feeding issues. He eventually went to a .300wsm blr and seems to like that.

Hopefully with the quality of your rifle you won't have the same troubles.

-Jake
​​​​​​​heck I don't need to worry about feeding issues. I really cat remember when I needed more than one shot! Really I think it was back in '74 or '75. Two shots on s buck because the first bullet blew up on impact with the shoulder. (A 6mm 100 gr Hornady Interlock)
Old 06-25-2019, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

To bad you couldn’t get ahold of some Magpro, Or Ramshot’s Magnum, Both of those powders look STELLAR for Load Density thumbing Through 1 of my Nosler Manuals, Both give Big Velocity with a 140 Grain Bullet (never was important to me)
I have ALWAYS been a Big Hodgdon Powder Fan, Their Extreme line (Consistent performance in Hot/Cold) I used Hodgdon Powder back when i first started handloading, Just over 3 Decades ago (Sounds kinda neat, But awful OLD My all time favorite powder for most of my use is, and always has been H-4350, I have Pounded a TON of Targets at all distances, all the way out to 1,000 Yards, and Killed a PILE of Game with H-4350, About every animal i have harvested year after year. Hodgdon is AWESOME Powder!!

Old 06-25-2019, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

Bronko, Have you played around much with ReLoading off the Rifle Lands? I usually find best accuracy with my bullet off the Lands between .010 and .060, Somewhere in that Range i will Find it if the Gun is capable. It’s like my Current .308, I have the Bullet Seated out Just far enough that they won’t fit in the Magazine (Just where it ended up/Shot best) It’s Kind of a Bummer That I’ve made it a Single Shot, But it shoots to good to mess with Changing it. If i need more than 1 shot with 1 of my CF’s I’ve done something horribly wrong

You got me missing my Centerfire Stuff here! I need to set these Muzzleloaders down and Go play with a few of my CF’s, I have 6.5 CM Sitting in a Brand new Boyds stock, i Stil haven’t messed with it. I get wrapped up in these Muzzleloaders, They eat my time up!

This was my last outing with my little .308, My Handloads of Course, Most of my CF’s over the years have NEVER seen a Factory Round, VERY Rare for me to Shoot a Factory shell, I can make better!

Last edited by Idaholewis; 06-25-2019 at 08:08 PM. Reason: added to
Old 06-26-2019, 09:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes I always start at .050" off the lands then once I find the most accurate load I will go in .010" and out .010" from there to see if there is any improvement.
But sometimes that's the problem with repeating rifles of any action. The ideal length won't fit the magazine or feed properly. Fortunately with this model 70 I have a lot of room in the magazine. I can't wait to get the scope for it so I can see how it shoots.