Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Powder lot varations >

Powder lot varations

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Powder lot varations

Old 12-26-2018, 12:57 PM
Spike

Default Powder lot varations

Gentleman, I have a question, how much if any variation is there from powder lot to lot? I just loaded up a bunch of 308cal 168gr Barnes bullets with IMR 4064. We finished off 2 nearly empty 1pound containers and started on a third one pound container so we have 3 different lots. I am not a long range shooter, must shots are with in 100yds sometimes out to 200yds max. At these ranges do I have to worry about the point of impact? Every thing else if the exact same, cases, primers amount of powder.
Sorry If these has been topic has been explained before but I have not been on this forum for several years.
Thx for the help.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

powder company's go to lengths to blend powders to match and maintain certain set pressure curve parameters for each powder type/number
but as powder ages its going to change its characteristics very slowly, If the powder was properly stored (cool, Dark, & dry) and under 20 years old it should be stable and consistent,
Ive had few issues with properly stored powder, even 30 years old, but if its stored where its getting temp and moisture swings it will degrade faster
Old 12-26-2018, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

that them ranges I highly doubt you would notice much of a difference, so I wouldn;t worry about it
but its also REAL easy to fire a few rounds off the bench and see too?

I would worry more about HOW the powder was stored by YOU and how the AMMO is also stored, than worry about the company's blend being different from lot to lot!
or same can be said as in if you actually WEIGHT each case and other more detailed steps in reloading, match shouter folks do, as NOT doing them you can have have differences, SMALL again for most, but there are many things that cause shift in point of impact and velocity of loaded ammo

at a 100-200 yards, if your rifle liked "X" load, with old lot of powder odds are IMO it will like the new lot of powder and loaded rounds!
Old 12-26-2018, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

only lot to lot variation I have saw that was truly mind blowing was using RE22, I realize its a double based powder, and they are more temp. sensitive than single based powders, but under the same conditions, using the same charge and components I have witnessed 150 fps variation just changing lots. I no longer use the RE line of powders. now my disclaimer, I shoot long range, practice regularly to 1100 yards, I can adjust the load for various temps, but I can't rework my load every lot of powder....barrels get expensive!
RR
Old 12-26-2018, 08:12 PM
Spike

Thx every one for the replies, we store our powder in our basements where it is cool and dry, not much temp changes and the powder is no more than a couple of years old so I should be ok on that front, and we measure every charge on a electric scale and of course every cartage is trimmed to length.
On another note, years ago I shot some 243rds my Grandfather loaded probably 30 or 40 year prior, they all went boom but they were not that accurate and when I looked at them closer I could visually see the COAL was different on every one! Some were like a quarter inch longer than others LOL. Needless to say I was lucky that day.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks as though you got the answer you were hoping to get. Powder stored well holds up nicely with age (within reasonable limits).

I have had a similar experience to that of RR and have had significant differences lot-to-lot sometime with Reloader powders. I still shoot quite a bit of Reloader but I try to buy a good supply of it with the same lot number to keep problems at a minimum. In the distant past some Win. powders chronographed a bit different but even they were not really bad.