Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Powder Questions >

Powder Questions

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Powder Questions

Old 11-19-2017, 04:28 PM
Spike

Default Powder Questions

I am getting into reloading and just purchased a kit from Cabelas. I looked throught the manual from Nosler and wanted to start by reloading some 30-06 cases. I also have a 25-06 and a 22-250. I was back at the store looking at primers and the man who has been reloading for 30yrs he told me and said to get a powder to start that will cover all these calibers. I bought a powder that I heard about IMR Enduron 4451. Would you reload the same grains as the normal 4451 IMR? The man also talked about fast and slow burning powders which senerio would be the best application for each? And it's tough finding a powder that covers each caliber and it seems that each manual I have Hornady and Nosler recommends different powders for there bullets even if they are the same grain. Is there a difference in powders to shoot a 150gr. Hornady vs Nosler bullet?
Old 11-19-2017, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

best bet for you is get 2 powders, H380 for the 22-250, IMR 4350 for the 06's, there are hundreds of options but these are proven powders for those case sizes IMO, and my opinion is worth exactly what it cost ya.
RR
Old 11-19-2017, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

The reason they recommend different powders for the same grain weight bullets is because of bullet shape and hardness. What may produce the proper pressures to obturate the Hornady Interlock for quick gas seal may not produce a fast enough obturation with the Nosler Partition. It's very hard to mostly impossible to get a powder to do what that person was advising you to get. Way to many variables between those 3 cartridges to count on one all purpose powder. Ridge Runners suggestion for the 06's is fairly reasonable but I found H380 to be inconsistent in both mine and my dad's .22-250's. With a 50gr V-Max and Lapua brass, I found IMR-3031 to be amazingly fast and most accurate out of those 3 rifles. But like most things, it is more dependent on the rifle than anything. A load that may shoot 1/4" groups from my rifle may be 3" or more out of yours. Part of reloading is the vast choices it opens up. Limiting yourself to just one powder option is about the same as trying to run a race with your feet tied together. Powder isn't all that expensive to not run some tests.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mjw176
And it's tough finding a powder that covers each caliber and it seems that each manual I have Hornady and Nosler recommends different powders for there bullets even if they are the same grain. Is there a difference in powders to shoot a 150gr. Hornady vs Nosler bullet?
Loading manuals list a bunch of different powders to give a fellow a general idea of what works well for their bullet in the their test barrel. Barrels are like snowflakes - no two are exactly the same. Sometimes seemingly identical rifles will like a different powder with a particular bullet.

Bullet shape and jacket materiel can make one powder slightly more preferable than others for bullets of the same caliber and weight due to the friction caused by the bearing surfaces and the resultant pressures.

You have picked what is normally a very good powder for a 30-06 and 25-06.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

For your first foray into reloading, it's likely good to limit yourself to a shorter list of components. You can load 4451 into all 3 of those cartridges listed, and the data is available free online. It might not be the most accurate, fastest, or most efficient powder for your bullet weight choices in each cartridge, but the data is there, and I'd personally expect to see it prove to be pretty accurate and plenty fast for all 3 cartridges.

IMR Online Data for Enduron 4451