Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Converting my RCBS Rockchucker back from progressive... >

Converting my RCBS Rockchucker back from progressive...

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Converting my RCBS Rockchucker back from progressive...

Old 11-03-2017, 12:27 PM
Spike

Default Converting my RCBS Rockchucker back from progressive...

Life is full of curve balls. When I lost my perfect place for target practice, I dismantled a pretty space consuming reloading operation.

Gearing back up now. The RCBS is set up for progressive loading and may have lost a part....maybe two. It will be awhile before I try progressive loading again. Did a double load once...pretty memorable.

How hard is it to go back to "one step at a time" operations? It has been ..... a long time.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

How do you want to load, pure batch process, or "one round at a time"? I'm not sure how shells are retained in the Rockchucker shell plate, so you might HAVE to go one at a time.

If you don't have an automatic powder drop, then you can go either way.

To go one at a time, cradle to grave, just put one case in the shell plate and don't put the next one in until the first is on the last stage. Easy. Again, you can't have your powder drop automated, because it'll pour 4 charges on your bench. This process would be similar to a turret press - 5 strokes mean one loaded round.

To batch through, pull all of the dies except for the ONE for your current step. Load the shell plate as you normall would, and just keep cranking. You'll have to catch your charged cases before they kick out and manually place them in a tray, naturally. It won't matter that you have the "spectator" cases walking around the shell plate, they'll just be along for the ride. This process is more like a true single stage press. Since this process runs a greater risk of spilled powder, I'd personally go with the other method, but this method DOES give you better opportunity to check your charges visually and on the scale if you wanted, since you have to handle each charged case in and out of the press.

If you don't have a press mounted powder drop, then the batch method above makes more sense.