Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Questions on BP cartridge loading >

Questions on BP cartridge loading

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Questions on BP cartridge loading

Old 02-22-2017, 05:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Questions on BP cartridge loading

I'm also posting this in the black powder section because it involves loading a black powder cartridge like the .45-70 with real black powder or a sub like Pyrodex.
I understand when using black powder that you must fill the gap between the powder and bullet with a filler (correct me if I'm wrong). If so, what kind of filler does one use? I've read some use oatmeal. Also, is it necessary to use a drop tube for the powder and is the powder measured by volume same as a muzzy?
Old 02-22-2017, 05:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Doing some more watching videos on this and I see that most use a fiber wad over the powder and compress it over the charge. This is followed by a thin paper wad to prevent the fiber wad from sticking to the bullet which is understandable from an accuracy standpoint.
One reloader stated that he put a thin paper wad at the bottom of the case to prevent powder from entering the flash hole. Is this really necessary?
My last question is on bullet seating. Should the bullet be in contact with the wad/powder and how hard should it be crimped?
Old 02-22-2017, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, lets address the filler issue first. Basically, you use a filler when you have a very light load of powder that won't remain against the flash hole in various positions of the rifle. First and foremost, do NOT put the filler in tightly! This can cause chamber ringing and up to chamber explosion! It will also produce varied results in POI. Most cases will be filled plenty with a good charge for hunting purposes and not need a filler. If you are using jacketed bullets then caution should be used because they create more pressures than non jacketed. As far as crimping goes and seating depth, I usually use a moderate crimp and I try to seat my bullets to a depth that is the best distance from the lands. Compression of the load is something you would rather avoid if using a filler. If compressed, the filler can act similar to an obstruction and cause heavy pressure spikes. BUT you want slight to medium compression if NOT using a filler. I know, headache time

I weigh my loads just like smokeless. Volume measuring is just too inconsistent. I use a drop tube and trickle method for consistent powder settling. I never light load so I don't use fillers. If you are light loading then use of a veggie fiber wad is touted to be about the best. Consistency in BP loading is your absolute best friend. My OCD is a plus when BP cartridge loading. Helps to be a little crazy sometimes Hope I haven't confused you too much Clem. Any other questions feel free to ask.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Lynn I'll send you a pm...............
Old 02-26-2017, 06:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well guys I just got me a Pedersoli 1874 Sharps in .45-70. I'm going to be getting some new brass for it (I have 3 other 45-70s) so I can fire form it to my chamber. I want to make up some light loads for fire forming and fill the empty space with cream of wheat. What is a good load of FFg for fire forming. I was thinking about 40 gr.
I've also read that some guys mark the case head after fire forming to orient it in the chamber each time. That sounds a bit extreme except for long range shooting accuracy which I don't plan on doing. But if so, how do you mark the case so it won't disappear?
I'm also going to be building my own drop tube set-up and casting my own bullets. This brings me to another point. Should I paper patch the bullets or lube them. And what lube should I used to keep the black powder fouling soft?
Any information you guys provide would be appreciated.