Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Range Report - 221 Fireball Encore handgun >

Range Report - 221 Fireball Encore handgun

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Range Report - 221 Fireball Encore handgun

Old 01-29-2017, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default Range Report - 221 Fireball Encore handgun

Well, my weekend didn't exactly work out as I had originally planned. I spent Friday evening crafting six groups of handloads for my new 221 Fireball Encore barrel with the intention of getting up Saturday morning and shooting it for the first time. However, shortly after waking up Saturday I got a call from a friend of mine who needed help moving. I intended to be back before the late afternoon, but we had so much stuff to move. Between loading up everything in his storage shed, cleaning out his and his wife's old camper, and driving all over three counties, it was almost 8:00 that night by the time we got done. Oh well, there's always tomorrow, or so I thought.

This morning I woke up and did a bit more handloading, fully intending to do quite a bit of shooting later in the day. I had everything ready to go when I learned my grandparents were coming over this afternoon. By the time they left, it was quite late in the afternoon. Still, I got everything set up in the field behind our house, ready to test as many handloads as I could. The weather conditions were less than optimal, but it was either shoot now or wait till next weekend.

I put the Encore and a pillow-filled backpack - my prefered pistol rest - on the table, then set up my chronograph at 10 feet and target stand at 50 yards, careful to align them so that the bullets would be stopped by my hay bale bullet trap. I took out my first group of handloads, loaded one, got into position, and pulled back the hammer.

All loads utilized Lapua brass, Hornady 55 grain soft points seated almost right up to the lands, CCI 400 primers, and IMR 4227. Since Hornady's loads can sometimes be a bit anemic, I decided to look up the loads listed on Hodgdon's website. Sure enough, the Hornady maximum charge was below Hodgdon's starting load.

Group #1:

Powder: 14.5 grains IMR 4227 - the Hodgdon minimum load
Average velocity: 2347 fps
Standard deviation: 38 fps
Group: 1.069"

My first time shooting this configuration was a pleasant surprise for me. Having grown accustomed to the fierce muzzle blast and sharp recoil of my more potent handguns, I found the relatively quiet report and almost nonexistent recoil to be a very welcome change.

After firing all five of my loads, I went to check the target. I was initially dismayed that, even at 50, I had completely missed the target. Upon closer inspection, I saw the group at the bottom edge of the target, roughly 7 inches below the bullseye. I adjusted the scope up and fired again.

Group #2:

Powder: 14.7 grains IMR 4227
Average velocity: 2378 fps
Standard deviation: 51 fps
Group: 1.009" with all five, 0.490" excluding flier.

Apart from the flier, this group was pretty good. I can't remember which of the five shots it was, though. This group's smaller size compared to the previous one was likely helped by the fact that the previous few shots adequately fouled the barrel.

Group #3:

Powder: 14.9 grains IMR 4227
Average velocity: 2448 fps
Standard deviation: 20 fps
Group: 0.974" with all five, 0.477" excluding flier

Once again, I had a great group minus the flier. I had adjusted the crosshairs up another two inches prior to shooting this group. Since it was so close to the bullseye, I felt no other adjustment was necessary.

Group #4:

Powder: 15.1 grains IMR 4227
Group: 0.739"

By this point in my range session, the sun was low over the western horizon. Between that and the thick cloud cover overhead, my chronograph stopped recording the velocities of my shots from group 4 onward. I decided to press on and continue testing my handloads. Even without the velocity data, I could still find the maximum load with this combination of components. These magnum pistol powders like IMR 4227 tend to burn best when loaded hot, so I'll go with the maximum safe load out of this gun.

These loads hit almost exactly on top of my previous group, so it was kind of difficult to tell where exactly each bullet went. With light fading fast and my chronograph now unresponsive, I decided to go for broke and move the target all the way back to 100 yards.

Group #5:

Powder: 15.3 grains IMR 4227
Group: 1.494"

My first 100 yard group went low and to the right. Since the sun was rapidly dipping below the treeline to the west, I just marked the holes and took a picture after I was done shooting.

Group #6:

Powder: 15.5 grains IMR 4227 - the Hodgdon maximum load
Group: 0.995" excluding flier.

After making one final adjustment to the scope, I fired my last handloads. On the second to last round I jerked the trigger, resulting in the flier high and to the left of the main group.

Even accounting for the increased distance, I felt I didn't shoot as well at 100 yards as I had at 50. The wind had picked up and I was getting cold at that point, which no doubt contributed to the slightly larger groups.

Final thoughts: I absolutely love this barrel. It turns my Encore into such a sweet shooting rig. I can't wait to load up some more rounds and shoot it again. Hopefully next weekend I can get it 100% sighted in and determine the velocity. Based on the velocities I got, I'm probably running those bullets about 2500 to 2550 fps with 15.5 grains of IMR 4227. Once I know the velocity for certain, I can run Nikon's Spot On software to match the bullet's trajectory to my scope's BDC reticle and shoot it at longer ranges. I also love how little powder it uses. When handloading, I wondered if my scale was off since the powder barely covered the bottom of my powder pan, at least until I saw that it nearly filled the tiny Fireball cases.

Can't wait for next weekend. Hopefully I won't be as busy.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:23 AM
Typical Buck

TN ! I see each group has a flyer ? As to whether it is you or the loads?
Try this : Take a magic marker and number each case and keep track of where each one hits. Keep the flyer cases away from your next load and shoot session to see if it is the case causing it {The flyer}.
This would be tough if you don't have a spotting scope though to see where each hits on the target!
Old 01-30-2017, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

MM, he is shooting a handgun off a backpack with a pillow in it...He's gonna get fliers!! I'm actually pretty impressed he is only getting one a session! That aint a rock steady rest!

TN, if you really want to test the firearm for best loads and grouping, get a much more solid rest, find what the firearm likes to eat the best, THEN start shooting with what you might use in the field. Caldwell has some pretty decent solid rests purpose made just for this and they aren't really expensive at all. I would suggest getting one for load development so you can get the absolute best results from your load workups. This way, if you screw up and miss one day in the field, you will know it is you needing more work at the range and not blame the load or firearm
Old 01-30-2017, 09:31 AM
Typical Buck

I've got a Caldwell rest, but I'm honestly more stable off the backpack when shooting off that table.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

To be proficient with a handgun from a machine rest, it takes:

1) A bit of practice to get used to how the pistol moves on the supports

2) A rear sand bag with a "rider" under the grip to support the rear of the pistol

3) A well fit front bag on the rest to ensure consistent support under the forend

Adding a small flat sandbag to one of the MTM pistol rests, I've had much greater success than trying to use a rifle machine rest. I drag this thing out a lot more often than I do my Eagle or Sinclair rests for handguns. You'll RARELY hear me give credit to such sloppy, cheap, plastic equipment, but for hunting handguns, this thing DOES work, and is much more easily implemented than even a Caldwell Rock BR (which I also own).

Given time to get used to it, and a bit of dedication to get the bags figured out, you'll shoot MUCH better from a machine rest than you will from a pack.

Also, for your field shooting, take a look at the Bog-Gear PSR. Again, you'll need to add a small flat rear sandbag, and your choice of support (monopod, tripod, bipod, etc), but it's incredibly handy for a specialty pistol hunter.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does it have a rear support for you to rest the butt on as well? This is a basic little cheapo that works plenty well enough. It will take MUCH of the human element out of the equation. Get it all adjusted to where you are on target with the butt solidly on the butt rest and the cradle solidly holding your "forearm". Trust an old hand at this stuff TN. To do proper load development, you have to take as much of the human element out as you possibly can. I've had guys bring me rifles they said wouldn't hold a 3 inch group to work up a fix for it. All the fix it took was take THEM out of the mix and some of those rifles would one hole or cloverleaf! If your Caldwell is just the front cradle, make you up something solid to rest the butt on and get it to where the only thing you have to do is set and repeat!
Old 01-30-2017, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

The MTM model does have a rear support - the ramp at the tail, as does the Bog-gear (both are pictured). But they both offer accommodating dimension for the rear bag, which the Pistolero rest you've pictured really doesn't, not without getting you a foot off of the bench.

The downside to the Caldwell Pistolero SuperHunt pictured (which I also own), is the rear support is too stiff AND too tall. Gets you WAY up off of the bench, then that box is way too stiff - putting a rear bag on top, it gets even taller. I like to rest my elbows on the bench to support myself, then have my forearms level and arms almost straight. The slanted body of the MTM lets me stick in a rear bag a lot easier than the Pistolero.

Take the box off of the Pistolero and you end up with nothing more than a standard front rest, complete with all of the same problems, and a whole lot MORE problems.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

Off a Caldwell rest and sandbag:

2 to 3 MOA groups at 100.

Off a backpack:

Sub-MOA groups when I get my act together.

The backpack just works best for me.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have a rubberized grip on a suede sandbag, what did you think was going to happen? Note the up & right stringing?

Note - in my first response in this thread, I mentioned a "rider" under the rear of your grip.

What you have pictured is a guarantee to lift the muzzle. Grip's gonna grab that bag and not move anywhere, might as well be bouncing off of concrete. Give it a way to move, it'll move, and you'll be able to feel your way to a tighter group.

I shot from a pack, or even from X-bags when I started with specialty pistols (before you were born), and eventually came to realize what really works best, compared to what seemed to work better for the couple dozen or hundred rounds I thought meant something.

These aren't mine (I wish), but this is what the big boys use when they get their specialty pistols out to really do some precision work. They know a he11 of a lot more about making short barrels shoot straight than you or I.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.