Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Neck sizing

Old 08-07-2016, 02:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default Neck sizing

Do you fire form your new cases and then just neck size them and go from there working on your hunting loads? {For that rifle.}
Old 08-07-2016, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

never just neck sized, only neck sizer I have is to take 338 lapua cases down to 7mm for my 7mm AM, I just partial full length size till they fit well in my chamber, after 2-3 firings I have to bump the shoulders back .002" after annealing.
I do my load work with new cases, then fine tune my seating depth with once fired cases. Tried using fire formed cases for load work a few times and never saw enough difference to worry about it in anything unless your making radical changes in the case shape when forming.
RR
Old 08-07-2016, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm just the opposite of RR. I neck size MOST of my rifle rounds. For me anyway, I find I get a good deal more case life out of them by neck sizing only. I do find a little more accuracy in a couple of my rifles by doing it because of slightly large chambers. The groups tightened up from 1.5 to just over 1/2 at 100 so with SOME rifles it can mean a pretty good difference in accuracy. Sloppy chambers in factory rifles is commonplace nowadays unfortunately.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:46 AM
Typical Buck

SH54,That's what i am talking about. It works for me 90% of the time. If it don't,i just FLS them for that gun.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I partially full length resize them like RR mentioned, but I don't shoot enough any more that I ever shoot a case enough times to even have to anneal it.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I suppose it's a matter of what equipment you use, and what you decide to call it.

Using a Full Length Sizing die to neck-size, or maybe just bump the shoulder a bit, isn't just neck sizing, even though a lot of guys call it that.

I have a few true neck-sizing dies - ONLY neck-sizers, and I also do often use FL sizers as bump or neck-size dies, which does partially resize. Most of my loading is for AR's, which get a FL resize forever and always. For my hunting rifles, a partial resize & neck size is in order. Only neck-size only, pure neck size only, on bench bolt guns.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:13 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

Default Neck size (mostly)

I neck size with a Lee Collet die because they give me a lot more shots than a typical "expander ball" type of die.

Every five or ten shots I need to use a full-length die to bump back the shoulder (and slightly squeeze the case diameter).

Check OAL every 5-6 shots, too. Trim if necessary.

I get 20 shots out of my 22-250 brass this way.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:31 PM
Typical Buck

I don't full length resize my rifle or specialty pistol cases, I just try to size the neck. I know that's not truly neck sizing, but it's close enough for my needs. I think it helps with accuracy, especially in combination with seating the bullets just off the rifling.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

For my bolt rifles I neck size only, because they are being shot in the same gun every time! If you are loading for different guns, it's best to go full length!
Old 09-13-2016, 12:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

As for me I really don't care much about extending my case life for a few extra loadings. I always FL size and trim my cases. That way I know they will chamber easily in my rifle. I tried Neck sizing a couple times and really didn't see a significant enough improvement in accuracy to justify even a slight difficulty to chamber when I needed it.
Now if I was using that particular rifle for target shooting only, then i might consider it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.