Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Family members disapproving of reloading? >

Family members disapproving of reloading?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Family members disapproving of reloading?

Old 09-16-2016, 04:22 PM
Fork Horn

I told my wife not long ago,if the house catches on fire RUN.
I have not had any issues yet and been loading around forty years. Safe storage of components makes them last longer anyway.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
LMAO!!! He sure wouldn't want to shoot any of my .44mag loads then. Mine aint just a "tidbit". My Rugers are some tough pistols and that toughness gets tested with every shot! I take them to the edge and then peek a little bit over He would probably be comfortable with my .45lc loads though. They are soft little puppy dog loads
I'm certainly not offended that he won't shoot my reloads. I'd much rather share the fruits of my labor, with those who appreciate it. Currently, I reload 22-250 for the father-in-law, which usually earns me "guest of honor" treatment whenever we come over for dinner. I also load .223 for one of my college buddies. He's used them to stack up more coyotes than I thought possible with a single-shot Handi-Rifle.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I currently load for 18 rifle cartridges and 6 pistol. From .220 swift up to .500NE and from 9mm to .500 S&W. Lots of goodies in between
Old 09-25-2016, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE=Ridgerunner56;4273229]I told my wife not long ago,if the house catches on fire RUN.

I know that feeling!!!! I showed one of my buddies on the local fire dept that if they get called to my house and it was anymore than a faulty smoke alarm and could see flames getting it really good, drop a 1-1/2" line thru the wall into my vault. He asked why. I showed him. When he started breathing again, he understood why!!!!
Old 09-25-2019, 06:56 AM
Spike

Default Sounds Familiar

Originally Posted by mounting man
Yep,heard it many years ago. Biggest thing was: "YOU ARE GOING TO BLOW THE HOUSE UP!"
What to heck? They didn't care about me getting blown up,just the house!!!!!!!!
It passed,their house is still there [ they have passed on] and i am still doing it .
Its a million times safer than driving down the road to a store!
Yes indeed, my wife never said "YOU ARE GOING TO BLOW THE HOUSE UP!"... LOL !!!

But, her father was an old time plumber and worked with lead a lot. She was worried that I would get into casting my own bullets which could produce an accidental fire or poisoning. I assured her that I had no interest in casting my own bullets. She still did not want me to do any reloading activities in our regular living areas. This limited me to our unheated or cooled garage. I agreed. I already had a light duty workbench in one corner. I thought it might be sufficient.

I was eager to try out the new single stage press and 30-06 dies I had just bought. I bolted down the press to my flimsy workbench and tried to full length resize a once fired 30-06 case. I almost ripped my light duty workbench off the wall. Clearly, I needed a much stronger workbench. I re-cycled the wood from my original workbench. The boards became storage shelves above my new workbench made out of 2 X 4 studs.

Here's a link to a PDF file about my reloading workbench that I posted on another forum. It is mostly a letter I wrote to my sister and her husband about how I became interested in target shooting again in my old age. It contains some photos of my two workbenches. A small portion of my original workbench can be seen when I was restoring my Dad's old deer rifle. The others are of my new workbench just after I completed it and about a year later.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-O...WzebK17b9gqtTb

Stay Safe,
Ron

Last edited by roninwsnc; 09-25-2019 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Minor wording mistake
Old 09-25-2019, 07:50 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf
When you first expressed the desire to start handloading your own ammo, did your family members raise a stink about it? Alternatively, are you interested in handloading but have family members that strongly disapprove?
I never asked them. Why would you?
Old 09-26-2019, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jack Ryan
I never asked them. Why would you?
If memory serves. TN Lone Wolf would have been but a mere pup still living in his parents’ den the 3 years ago when he started this thread.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by roninwsnc
Yes indeed, my wife never said "YOU ARE GOING TO BLOW THE HOUSE UP!"... LOL !!!

But, her father was an old time plumber and worked with lead a lot. She was worried that I would get into casting my own bullets which could produce an accidental fire or poisoning. I assured her that I had no interest in casting my own bullets. She still did not want me to do any reloading activities in our regular living areas. This limited me to our unheated or cooled garage. I agreed. I already had a light duty workbench in one corner. I thought it might be sufficient.

I was eager to try out the new single stage press and 30-06 dies I had just bought. I bolted down the press to my flimsy workbench and tried to full length resize a once fired 30-06 case. I almost ripped my light duty workbench off the wall. Clearly, I needed a much stronger workbench. I re-cycled the wood from my original workbench. The boards became storage shelves above my new workbench made out of 2 X 4 studs.

Here's a link to a PDF file about my reloading workbench that I posted on another forum. It is mostly a letter I wrote to my sister and her husband about how I became interested in target shooting again in my old age. It contains some photos of my two workbenches. A small portion of my original workbench can be seen when I was restoring my Dad's old deer rifle. The others are of my new workbench just after I completed it and about a year later.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-O...WzebK17b9gqtTb

Stay Safe,
Ron
Hey Ron,

I really enjoyed your link about your dad's rifle and your work bench for reloading. That's a lot of great memories you have.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Nomercy448

If memory serves. TN Lone Wolf would have been but a mere pup still living in his parents’ den the 3 years ago when he started this thread.
True dat. He probably has his own place now and even more reloading equipment.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can't say here what I would tell them!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.