Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 lubing correctly? >

lubing correctly?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

lubing correctly?

Old 10-19-2003, 06:09 PM

Default RE: lubing correctly?

P.S.- Hey DG, I like your idea of spraying the neck brush with lube in order to lube the neck. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

Mainehunt........ I think Rodsmith was refering to the calibers he has on hand and loads for, not that only the 270 Win has a shoulder.

To answer Rodsmith' s question.......Yes, having excessive lube on the shoulder area will cause dents due to a hydraulic action when the case is pushed up into the sizing die. It has no place to go! There is a small hole in the upper portion of the die that acts as a vent, this should be cleaned now and then.

It doesnt take a lot of lube to size cases, I try never to get a the liquid lube ie " water or oil based" on the shoulder area, it' s not nescessary to do so. If you find that there is lube contacting the neck you are most likely using TOO MUCH lube.

You do need to lube the inside of the necks with any of the forementioned lubes to help with resizing and to keep the expander button from dragging and stretching the neck on the upstroke of the press.

always use a lube though....AA
Old 10-20-2003, 12:07 PM

Thanks AA, When I read Rodsmith' s post I must have been half asleep....one of those weeks I guess.

AA--Now that you mentioned the lube in the neck, and stretching it, it made me think of something. I have been reloading for my 300WM. It seems that I need to trim case lengths an aweful lot. I don' t know. Everytime I reload, I have to trim about
1-2 thousandths off of the case neck. Is this normal ?? No I' m not loading them hot, in fact I' m loading at the minimum of powder. (IMR4350)

OR......Is it because I' m a dipstick and haven' t been putting any lube inside the necks?