Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
35 Whelen AI Loads >

35 Whelen AI Loads

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

35 Whelen AI Loads

Old 05-16-2015, 11:24 AM
Spike

Default 35 Whelen AI Loads

I plan on having a 30-06 bored to .358 and chambered for the 35 Whelen AI. Is there anyone here reloading for this cartridge? Looking for any info I can find.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:25 AM
Spike

Default Here's some suggestions

I have had a couple of 35 Whelen AI's over the past 25 years. the usual loads for a standard 35 Whelen are a good place to start. Your max load will be only about 2-5 grains more than the standard and the velocity increase will be about 50 - 75 FPS; hard to detect without some prolonged chronograph work and careful statistical analysis. The main reason for going "AI' is the improved case life. I'd suggest necking up your brass to 375-40 caliber then sizing down to get precise headspacing for fire-forming, particularly if using 30-06 brass. I prefer getting factory Remington 35 Whelen brass. If you use other brass, be sure to anneal the neck/shoulder area before final forming or it will soon crack.
Except for "real' zeroing/hunting loads, I use as 38/357 die to neck size only (being careful to no bump the shoulder). The bolt can be a bit snug to close, but it works fine for light practice/ beginner loads. My eldest son shot his second deer at age 8 with a 200 gr Hornady roundnose loaded to 2200 fps (Reloader 7 was the powder if I recall) with this technique.
I like 35 cal rifles. They are reliable on game and usually very accurate with jacketed 357 pistol bullets. My 35 Whelen AI's have not been picky about bullet weights. they had Shilen barrels with 1:12 twists.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:20 PM
Spike

I just sent the M70 off to J.E.S. Reboring to have the Barrel bored to .358 and Chambered for the 35 Whelen Ackely Imp with the 40 degree shoulder. So I'm looking forward to a new cartridge to play with.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:43 PM
Spike

Standard of AI, one of the best and most overlooked calibers out there. I have owned 5 both standard and AI. In my 35 AI, I have been shooting IMR 8208 for several years. It has been very accurate and I get topvelocity of any of the powders I shoot with 200 grain bullets. I like R-15 or BLC-2 for my 250 grain bullets. I am using a 24" Pac-Nor barrel and I get an average of 2910 FPS. with200 gr. Barnes TTSX and Cor-Lock bullets. With BLC-2, I get just over 2600 FPS with the 250 Speer and Hornady bullets and a little over 2500 with R-15. This round really gets the job done on anything from Deer to Bear and doesn'tkick like my 300 Roy or .458 Win Mag. I think it will wind up being one of your favorites as it is mine.

Sharps made the West safe for Winchesters.