Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Case weight and cleaning with primers >

Case weight and cleaning with primers

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Case weight and cleaning with primers

Old 03-21-2016, 02:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sauer14
2 quick questions, one is probably dumb but here goes, how important is case weight? I take care to make sure every thing is exactly the same, case length, exact powder charge, same type of case, same primers but recently measuring the weight of the cases with an electronic scale there is a quite a difference in weights of the individual cases. Should I sort them by weight?
I shoot a production rifle at standard distances,100-200 yards, 30cal does it matter at these ranges?
Now for the dumb question, I prepped a some cases and put the primers in, is it possible to tumble them some more in dry media to get them cleaner or would this ruin the primer?
Thx for any answers guys, I have gleaned a h#ll of a lot of information on this web site.
You will be producing ammunition as good as anything store bought by following the basics of a reloading manual. With trial and error you will find primers, powder charges, bullet types, and seating depth will get your reloads shooting better and better.

If you are a hunter or shoot standard distances as you put it, this is all you need to do. The extra things are for bench rest shooters. Shooting form becomes a huge factor away from the bench and that is more important then over engineered reloads. And you will be shooting more with your money. More practice equals better groups so keep it simple and everything will fall together.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

stay at it, I do not weigh brass, I do not clean primer pockets other than tumbling deprimed maybe once the life of the case. folks start out with a book load, and mostly they work out better that the stuff ya pay an arm and a leg for 20 rounds to the box, your saving bookoo bucks on ammo so ya shoot more (and ya get better at it) so you notice sometimes your factory rifle shoots less than an inch, SO, ya start tweaking, find a primer your chamber likes a bit better (I'll tell ya this, most of the time its a federal) you tweak the powder charge to get the barrel harmonics where its shooting better, and your almost there till you see that it doesn't quite average breaking 3/4". so you do your research, start tweaking seating depth and ya keep shootin, and ya think man this thing is almost down to 1/2" what to I do to get it better, I'll tell ya.........Not a Damn thing. any factory barrel that will do less than .75 is a keeper, if you want better its an action trueing and a new barrel on the line. brass is just a vessel, there are many other things that affect accuracy that you can look at.
RR
Old 03-21-2016, 03:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wouldn't tumble cases that are already primed. Not only will you possible contaminate the primers but you could possibly build up static electricity and set a primer off when you try to pick it up. Leave them go until the next time.
I deprime before I tumble my cases. I use crushed walnut shells and let them go for about an hour. Then I clean out the primer pockets ensuring there is no media in the flash hole.