Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
New Unprimed Brass ? >

New Unprimed Brass ?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

New Unprimed Brass ?

Old 03-09-2015, 04:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default New Unprimed Brass ?

I just finished going thru SSA 6.8 new unprimed brass. I ordered 200. Out of the 200, 91 cases were minimum trim length to at what I found which was 1.676". The rest were 1.674-1.668". The longer ones I trimmed to desired length. Now I know I can use them but it upsets me that the length varied that much. The longest one measured 1.800". I have ordered Weatherby brass and the length was short from my trim length, but it didn't vary as much and only a few were not the same size. Is this the case and expected nature going forward with buying brass. It doesn't seem like there is a standard length from factory. I know it can't be perfect but I guess I'm trying to see if the variation like I received is normal? Also most of the cases we're great, some had some dents and blemishes nothing big but still expected more as I heard nothing but good things about SSA brass.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

do you size your brass ? i always trim after sizing especially handgun cases as they will always be different if you trim then size.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

SSA is supposed to be known for quality control in consistency, sizing, etc. and I imagine that's why Nosler bought them in 2013 to increase their production of brass, as well as ammo in todays marketplace. I hate to think that what you found in that 200 count batch is what they are now putting out because it certainly varies a lot more than what I would be happy with as a buyer. IMHO I would be contacting the company to find out what their stance is on the issues you found.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

on new brass, trim them to the length of the shortest case or the trim length,which ever is shortest they will work fine. never heard of SSA but if its not premium brass (which is at a premium price) expect a little extra prep work, lapua and norma brass costs more for a reason
RR
Old 03-10-2015, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unless you are crimping bullets a slightly short case will not have much effect unless you are a benchrest competitor. Long cases can be a big problem, but slightly short ones are not a big deal.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

I will be crimping bullets. My rule is. 001. I just like my bullets the same size. Easier to find something that works and doesn't At least my view. Even when it is. 001 off I do not enjoy it, but it works out. SSA is premium brass if I had to guess. It was $54 for 100. I did email the company and we will see what happens.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't be concerned about them being a little short. As you fire and resize, they will stretch.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

For non-precision benchrest shooting, I basically follow the same philosophy that Ridge Runner mentioned - trim all cases to the shortest length.

To avoid letting one odd-ball, or a handful of odd-balls throw the whole batch too short, I measure all the cases and line them up across the bench from shortest to longest. If there are 1-5 really short ones, I might discard those 1-5, but then I set up to trim all of the cases to the shortest length.

It seems to be pretty common that cases are too short, be it new unprimed brass or even factory ammo. Also like Ridge Runner mentioned, the higher end stuff tends to NOT have that problem, let alone being more consistent for case weight and sidewall thickness.

Like Muzzlestuffer mentioned, I size my brass before trimming also.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:18 AM
Typical Buck

The email I got back is they use Sammi specs and the minimum is like 1.664. Nothing was said about the dents or blemishes and the brass is advertised to be prepared even though I have never seen that advertised.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

don't worry about small dents too much as soon as you fire the dents will come out. are you planning on only using this brass in one rifle ? that's fire forming to that specific rifle which is how i do it.if your not crimping just go ahead and resize for the first time don't trim and load it up and shoot them in the rifle and your brass will be ready to trim it will be formed to your chamber that is the most exacting way i know of ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.