Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Another 338 Win. Question >

Another 338 Win. Question

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Another 338 Win. Question

Old 08-31-2013, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Another 338 Win. Question

About to start handloading for my 338 Win. Mag.

I know I need to, and will, try several loads to see which groups best. I am not as familiar with this large a capacity case and would appreciate any expereices you folks have had with powders .... plan to use 225 gr. Partitions, but am open to other bullet choices. Game to be hunted ... elk.

I have a boat load of RE-25, H-414, IMR-4350 and H-4350 on hand. And CCI-250 primers.

Last edited by Mojotex; 09-13-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mojotex
About to start handloading for my 338 Win. Mag.

I know I need to, and will, try several loads to see which groups best. I am not as familiar with this large a capacity case and would appreciate any expereices you folks have had with powders .... plan to use 225 gr. Partitions, but am open to other bullet choices. Game to be hunted ... elk.

I have a boat load of RE-25, H-414, IMR-4350 and H-4350 on hand. Adn CCI-250 primers.
My favorite elk bullet is the 210 Partition. The 225 grain bullet has shot very well for me, but the 210 is still my choice for elk. I tried the Barnes bullets for a while but ended up going back to Nosler. The only times that I have recovered a 210 is when elk were facing me and the bullets came to rest in the hind quarters.

RL 19 and IMR 4350 have been the best powders in my loads.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Big Uncle. I'll pick up some RE-19 and test a few loads with this and that using my reloading manuals as the guide. I think I may have to stick with the 225 gr. because I've already purchased 3 boxes !!!

I just worked up an accurate load for my 300 Win. Mag. using 200 gr. Partitions. I'll probably be debating which one to take come next winter. Plan on getting a good deal of longer range shooting done between now and then. Down this way in SE Al. where I hunt 150 yards is a loooong shot. Most of the time I am lookng at under 100 yards.