Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Lee Classic Loader?? >

Lee Classic Loader??

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Lee Classic Loader??

Old 08-06-2013, 09:00 AM
Spike

Default Lee Classic Loader??

Just curious if anyone knows about the Lee Classic Loaders, are they worth investing money into a $30 hand loader?? Or would the Lee Breech Lock Hand Press be a better investment?? I've never reloaded but really want to get into it? Just curious of what other's thoughts on these 2 are.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:11 AM
Spike

Or should I just go all out and spend the money on press of some sort whether it be single or progressive??
Old 08-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hand Press

Me, i would start with the hand press. It uses standard dies, which can be of any brand. When trying to create new loads, i used to take my pick-up camper with a scale, bullets, powder, dies, and the hand press out shooting with me. It worked good. It wasn't my first press, but it could have been. My first press was a simple Jr press, and it still works after so many many years.

We first reloaded with the old Lyman Tong Tool, and that worked, but i like using a simple press much better..

The nice thing about the hand press, is you can reload just about anywhere, without needing a 'bench'. One can load on the kitchen counter if need be, or the dining table, or a desk. My first bench, was a surplus school desk that i screwed the press and powder drop to, and also the desk was screwed to the floor.

If one starts with a hand press without a real reloading area, all the same necessary accessories can be used in the future with a bench mounted press in a reloading room, if that comes to be.

Starting with a simple bench mounted press would work just fine. However, in my opinion, it would be a mistake to start with a progressive.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:44 PM
Spike

Thank you. I would have to agree with you, living in and apartment isn't ideal for mounting a press somewhere, not saying it can't be done just not ideal. I was leaning more towards the hand press. So thank you for making my decision a little easier. Again thanks for your input, I greatly appreciate it.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

it would be a mistake to start with a progressive.
+1 unless you have someone to show you how to use the progressive press. Don't worry with a hand press you will still make plenty of mistakes.

If you decide to go with a single stage press a tool table is a good way to mount the press in an apartment:

http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-D2056.../dp/B00004TQEP

or you could build something similar with 2x4s and plywood to save some money.

Good luck
Old 08-26-2013, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
However, in my opinion, it would be a mistake to start with a progressive.
I don't think there is a problem with buying a progressive right out of the chute, but don't try to use it as a progressive until you have some experience. I started with a Dillon RL550. Used it as a single stage for a couple of years, then kept adding steps as I got more comfortable. Now I have a few single stage presses that I use for different steps.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:08 PM
Typical Buck

I would go with the hand press,also. The Lee loaders may be ok,but you can't change to different calipers,of which,in time you will do,once your hooked on hand loading.