Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Loading blanks for a shotgun. >

Loading blanks for a shotgun.

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Loading blanks for a shotgun.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Loading blanks for a shotgun.

I am wanting some blanks for training my dog and am not wanting to buy blanks if I can just load them. Do I have to use black powder? I have 700x, Blue Dot, 800x, Unique, Herco, Universal. Can I do it or should I just buy the blanks and suck it up?
Old 06-30-2013, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

load em up with rocksalt. Almost blanks. Some use cream of wheat.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

***UPDATE**** I come to find that 30grns of 700x with a AA wad and filled to the crimp with corncob media and a piece of paper over top makes a GREAT blank!!! Started with taking lead shot out of just standard trap loads and replacing with media was nothing more than my morning wake up/ get out of bed rounds!!!!
So I started to up the charge, started at 18grns, and used cream wheat and up the charge by 2 grns. Box of wheat was getn low and still had not much more than some taco bell sound affects.
Got to about 25grn and noticed my bucket of corn media and got an idea. Traded out the wheat and off it goes. Upped to 30grns and here we are!!!! Nice blank, nothing even noticed from the media. Just the wad falling.
Will start the dog with these and my work partner wants some for some bachyard bird nuisance rounds. I may even drop some in various hulls and add confetti and feathers for a fun night at trap league!!!!