Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Small Pistol Primers v. Small Rifle Primers >

Small Pistol Primers v. Small Rifle Primers

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Small Pistol Primers v. Small Rifle Primers

Old 06-17-2013, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking Small Pistol Primers v. Small Rifle Primers

With primers being more scarce lately would it be ok to use small pistol primers in place of small rifle primers??? Or would it be more specific to different rifles or calibers???
Old 06-22-2013, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am curious about this as well. I am new to reloading: if the primer fits in the pocket why couldn't you use small pistol instead of small rifle or vice versa?
Old 06-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

The use of small pistol primers in rifle cartridges is discouraged. Small pistol primers have thin soft cups that may perforate at rifle pressures.

My favorite light .22 Hornet load uses small pistol primers because they give fine accuracy. i refuse to use small pistol primers when reloading any other rifle cartridge nor will i use it with a hotter .22 Hornet load.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by falcon
The use of small pistol primers in rifle cartridges is discouraged. Small pistol primers have thin soft cups that may perforate at rifle pressures.

My favorite light .22 Hornet load uses small pistol primers because they give fine accuracy. i refuse to use small pistol primers when reloading any other rifle cartridge nor will i use it with a hotter .22 Hornet load.
That is what I was thinking about. I load the Hornet and 218 Bee and thought that would be good to use either one. Can't find any large rifle primers during this draught!!!!!
Old 06-28-2013, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

In addition to the reduced cup thickness, pistol primers are shorter than rifle primers. The primer could sit far enough below the case head that the firing pin might not ignite a pistol primer in a rifle case. Conversely, a rifle primer in a pistol case could stick far enough out of the case to be ignited when the bolt is closed.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:15 PM
Spike

Switching primers can also cause a dramatic change in pressure of a load.Ya ll should check out Handloader magazine , if you reload or are curious about it there is a lot of information in each issue, I know I have learned a lot.