Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Rifle powder question/discussion >

Rifle powder question/discussion

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Rifle powder question/discussion

Old 05-29-2013, 08:56 AM
Banned

Default Rifle powder question/discussion

What makes one powder, say Varget, a guys favorite, and IMR 4320 his "least favorite" rifle powder? (These two powders are right next to each other on a burn chart!)
This is part of a conversation I just had with Brad Elder at Swift Bullet Co.
I'm still relatively new to reloading and this is one of the anomalies I have no answer for. A lot of guys seem to have their "faves" and "hates". I have used 4320 in my .308 Win with favorable results. I got it in fact because it was right next to Varget on the burn rate charts and Varget was nowhere to be found. This is not to compare just those two, but many powders becomje a guys favorite while another does not.
I understand and accept that certain powders have a history of being more compatible with one caliber of rifle/pistol over another. Maybe I should lose the idea that because two powders are near each other on the burn chart that they have similar characteristics.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:08 PM
Typical Buck

Burn rate is only one of many factors that impact accuracy. I don't claim to be a powder expert, there are many people on this forum that know a great deal more than I do.

I do know that the type of powder...ball, cylindrical, blended (dual based), etc also plays a role in both accuracy and loyalty. I have friends that use nothing but ball powder because their powder measures/scales perform more consistently with, making reloading easier/faster...

Just because two powders with comparable burn rates...for example...H4350, H4831 and IMR4831 are all pretty close on the burn-rate chart...I use all three powders extensively in several different calibers...the H4350 is my go to powder in my 270WIN...the IMR4831 in my 7mm Mag and the H4831sc is my go to for my 25WSSM and 270WSM...I have tried all three powders in all four calibers and they don't all preform equally in each round. Another example is my 243WIN loads...I load four different bullets for several different 243's...55 BT, 80 FMJ, 90 BT and 100 PART grainers....using 3 different powders to get the best results.

Rifle also plays a role...I have a 243 that I load 90g Nosler BT's for that prefers IMR4895 whereas my daughters 243 90g Nosler BT load prefer H4831sc...different twist rate on the barrel, different barrel length and different action type (lever action vs bolt action) plays as much a role as burn rate...

All told I regularly use about half a dozen different powders...but 90% of the loads are with 4 powders...WIN748, IMR4895, H4350, H4831sc...the other 2 I use regularly are IMR4831 and IMR4064...I personally don't like the instability/inconsistency I have experienced with the dual based "Reloader" powders...that being said I have several friends that swear by them...just like my friend that will only use ball type powders...
Old 05-29-2013, 02:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

dig - I believe that some who have favorite powders do not reload for a lot of different cartridges. If you were to look in my powder cabinet you would find an assortment of powders. I reload for approximately 25 or so different firearms. And I've found that even rifles of the same chambering like entirely different loads - both powder and bullet. Yeah you can get by with only a couple of powders. But I am of the opinion that if you don't want to squeeze every drop of accuracy out of your weapon then why reload in the first place. Now it is true that some powder can handle a wide range of cartridges with satisfactory results. (IMR4350 is a good example of this - it will suffice for everything from a .243 up to a 300 win mag).
What it all boils down to is personal opinion and choice. What works for you may not necessarily work for me and vice versa.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:31 PM
Banned

So I think I will pick a couple bullets I like, say Barnes TTSX BT in 168gr and try a couple different powders and loads that Barnes recommends. Do my ladder shoot and fine tune it a bit, play with the jump, then shoot the **** out of it and stop trying to do too much!

Last edited by dig4gold; 05-29-2013 at 05:52 PM.