Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Powder scale.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:32 PM
Spike

Default Powder scale.

Hello, I finally decided I'm going to start reloading and was wondering what the best electronic scale was to measure powder. Also, when I clean the brass in a tumbler should I size them and take the primer out first or clean them and then size and take out the primer. And should I trim my cases to the minimum length? I appreciate all the help!
Old 05-09-2013, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
scale, RCBS chargemaster
if you use walnut media the media will stick in the flasholes, if ya use rice it won't
rice in a vibrator
fill with dry white uncooked rice, mix 1 oz of car polish, 1 oz of mineral spirits, stir well, then dribble the mixture into the rice as the vibrator is running, let run 2 hours before adding cases, works as well as anything.
RR
+1 for the RCBS chargemaster...

I have have a few friends that also use the rice RR describes...stainless steel is also a newer fad (a little spendy to get started but my friend that uses it swears by it!)... I use to use walnut, but stopped for the same reason RR stated and I use corn now, but I also tumble before de-priming/sizing now....it's a personal choice. As far as trimming goes? I trim to the maximum length. I love reloading as much as shooting anymore...and I certainly don't spend any less $...LOL
Old 05-09-2013, 04:23 PM
Spike

Thanks for the advice
Old 05-10-2013, 02:07 AM
Typical Buck

Can't speak for the electronic scale as I use an RCBS 505 beam scale, very accurate. I tumble before sizing to clean and after to remove the lube. As stated, walnut can be frustrating, haven't tried rice yet but will. I trim to minimum every time.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I like my RCBS Range Master 750 real well. Life time warrenty.

I wash my cases in hot soapy water first, resize them, use a gauge I bought many years ago to see if they need triming. If they need trimming I do that step and deburr the mouth. Once finished with those steps I put them in the tumbler with no mane dry white rice. My rice will catch in some of the flash holes and break a depriming pin So the resizing is done first.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 05-11-2013 at 05:35 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

I always size and deprime first and I use crushed walnut media. Yes you do get particles in the flash hole but the come out easily with a pointed pick when I scrape the primer pocket. Also, I feel all that walnut dust left on the cases after polishing may eventually scratch the inside of the die. IMO anyway.