Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
reloading 300wsm >

reloading 300wsm

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

reloading 300wsm

Old 04-29-2013, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default reloading 300wsm

I traded for a Winchester 300wsm a couple of years ago and didnt buy any dies or components for it, because I wasnt sure if I was gonna keep it. The rifle shoots really good so I think I will keep it. I have been shooting Winchester power points through it with good accuracy. I'm gonna buy some dies, but was wondering what type of powder most folks use for the 300wsm? I understand that not all rifles will like certain types of powder. I am gonna shoot from 150 to 180gr out of it. I am not new to reloading either. I load for several different calibers, just new to the short mag. Any tips and favorite powder would be much appreciated.
Thanks Greg.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:15 AM
Typical Buck

I have had the best luck with H4831sc in my short mags but H4350 also performed very well in my 270WSM as did IMR4895.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:55 PM
Typical Buck

Currently doing some work with a 300 wsm using IMR 4350 with good results.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

When I loaded for my 325 WSM I had excellent results with RL19. Both the 300 and 325 use the same case so results may be similar.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info fellers
Old 06-17-2013, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

WSM and wssm cartridges are a pain in the a$$ to reload. Please research it in-depth before making the jump. I ended up getting rid of my two rifles in wssm and WSM for a regular 243 win and 300 win mag!!!

I was also having a heck of a time keeping brass. Kept getting split necks on both. The 25 wssm were the worst!!!!!
Old 06-17-2013, 01:50 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob
WSM and wssm cartridges are a pain in the a$$ to reload. Please research it in-depth before making the jump. I ended up getting rid of my two rifles in wssm and WSM for a regular 243 win and 300 win mag!!!

I was also having a heck of a time keeping brass. Kept getting split necks on both. The 25 wssm were the worst!!!!!
Wow...I have a 270WSM (Tikka T3 Stainless Lite) that I have been reloading for and hunting with for almost 5 years now...probably have 150 or so rounds through it so far, everyone of them reloads. It's very accurate and a pleasure to hunt with. The only problem I had was realizing the shoulders needed to be bumped if I full length sized...once I stated neck sizing, problem solved.

I also have a 25 WSSM (Browning A Bolt Medallion) and love love love it...have hunted with it off and on for the last 3 years and have about 100 rounds through it...again, have only ever reloaded for it (no factor rounds through it ever)...been a pleasure to hunt with, easy on the shoulders recoil-wise and accurate as all get out.

Between the two, I've never had a cracked case...my father and one brother have 300WSM's and a sister hunts with a 270WSM...all reloads as well and none of them have ever had a cracked case either.

You'll love the 300WSM...it's a pleasure to shoot and easy to reload for...just remember to bump the shoulders if you are full length sizing (or simple neck size) and yer good to go.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by emtrescue6
Wow...I have a 270WSM (Tikka T3 Stainless Lite) that I have been reloading for and hunting with for almost 5 years now...probably have 150 or so rounds through it so far, everyone of them reloads. It's very accurate and a pleasure to hunt with. The only problem I had was realizing the shoulders needed to be bumped if I full length sized...once I stated neck sizing, problem solved.

I also have a 25 WSSM (Browning A Bolt Medallion) and love love love it...have hunted with it off and on for the last 3 years and have about 100 rounds through it...again, have only ever reloaded for it (no factor rounds through it ever)...been a pleasure to hunt with, easy on the shoulders recoil-wise and accurate as all get out.

Between the two, I've never had a cracked case...my father and one brother have 300WSM's and a sister hunts with a 270WSM...all reloads as well and none of them have ever had a cracked case either.

You'll love the 300WSM...it's a pleasure to shoot and easy to reload for...just remember to bump the shoulders if you are full length sizing (or simple neck size) and yer good to go.
This is one exception for sure. Just research (google it!) it on the net a and see just how many have had this problem!!! I was getting spit necks with first fired (brand new cases) brass.

do the research. there is a reason why these calibers are on the wan!!! They were a gimmick to start with and just check out the numbers of rifle companies who are putting out these calibers in there new guns??? Nough said on these calibers. I switched back to the real calibers (300 Win Mag and 243Win).

Sorry, but these are my lousy experiences and I don't want anyone to go down the same road. Your choice.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob
This is one exception for sure. Just research (google it!) it on the net a and see just how many have had this problem!!! I was getting spit necks with first fired (brand new cases) brass.

do the research. there is a reason why these calibers are on the wan!!! They were a gimmick to start with and just check out the numbers of rifle companies who are putting out these calibers in there new guns??? Nough said on these calibers. I switched back to the real calibers (300 Win Mag and 243Win).

Sorry, but these are my lousy experiences and I don't want anyone to go down the same road. Your choice.
Your experience is certainly the exception, not the rule...and it's a real stretch to call these calibers "gimmicks" or "not real calibers"...I have many many friends and family that have hunted for years with WSM's and done so without incident...while some of the WSSM's may well in deed be less popular, the 300 and 270WSM's certainly sell well and take a fair number of game every year...the 25WSSM has also found a pretty good following in the AR platform.

If you "google" enough you can find an argument for and against every caliber...most of the "bad" often has more to do with the shooter and not the rifle.

I have two rifles (and am currently building a 3rd) that require fire forming cases and you read on discussion board after discussion board the perils of cracked cases during the fire forming process...but after nearly 1000 fire formed cases in a 6.5-06 over the past 10 plus years I have only ever had 2 or 3 cracked cases...yet I have read blogs where people complain of cracking 3 out of 4 cases when fire forming...it's all in the process and using one that is proven and knowing what you are doing.

Plus, I am not sure where you have been looking, but most all of the major manufactures including: Tikka, Savage, Browning, Winchester, Remington, TC...all currently carry all of the WSM calibers (270, 300 and 325) in one or more of their rifles...the only major builder that doesn't is Ruger...

Bottom line...if you are patient and use a proven process when reloading, the 300WSM...hell any caliber for that matter...will perform well and is a great round.

Last edited by emtrescue6; 06-18-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

RESEARCH, RESEARCH, AND RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The proof is in the companies who are not putting these calibers out there!!! I stand behind what I have stated. If what you say is in fact true, then where are the others who are backing you up??? Sorry friend, I am only trying to get the word out there about these less then popular calibers and the trouble folks have been having with them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.