Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Digital scale or Slide scale??? >

Digital scale or Slide scale???

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Digital scale or Slide scale???

Old 03-22-2013, 08:01 AM
Spike

Question Digital scale or Slide scale???

Just getting my feet wet with reloading and I ordered an RCBS Rockchucker Supreme kit with the slide scale. I was wanting opinions on wether I should stick with the slide or would digital be the way to go? I hear that the slide scale is more fool proof and digital has to be checked often, is there truth to this? What do you guys suggest for me? Thanks, Joel
Old 03-22-2013, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

As a retired State of MI W&M Investigator with over 30 years on the job, I believe unless you want to spend big bucks on a digital that the slide scale you purchased will do fine. Keep it clean and immoblile when not in use so the knives (pivot point) don't wear down and it will never need replacing. Unless you plan on reloading thousands of rounds a year and want to really speed up the production process, your beam scale will do fine.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

That kit comes with a 505 scale which is very accurate and repeatable. Don't let it's looks and light weight fool ya.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have both the 505 and my digital. I use the power scale for speed, and have had many beams. The beam is great and will serve you fine.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:28 PM
Typical Buck

beam...hands down!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:13 PM
Typical Buck

the 505 is my choice too. ive been using one for 30 years and still good. i take mine apart after each use and keep it in its box. i keep the balance bar in the plactic bag it came in for protection.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Spike

Thank you guys for posting. I'll stick with the package 505 scale and not worry about another. I 'm glad to hear about taking good care of it also, cause I admit, I probably wouldn't have gave any thought to that. Thanks again. Joel
Old 03-24-2013, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I 've been using the same RCBS 505 scale for 25yrs and if it broke today i'd go buy another one . I do have a digital scale but i only use it for weighing bullets, brass, broadheads, etc. The 505 will serve you well.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:13 AM
Typical Buck

I have an old pacific beam scale not many more accurate. I just don't trust electronics.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:09 PM
Typical Buck

I have an inexpensive digital scale and although it has always seemed to be right on, I will trust my 1010 rcbs beam scale before the digital. HD.