Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
How hot can I load 38 special for 357 gun? >

How hot can I load 38 special for 357 gun?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

How hot can I load 38 special for 357 gun?

Old 07-12-2014, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Cuebuilder
Hi, I joined this forum to answer this question, Don't know if my answer is right but it is what I do. I think he asking if he can load a 38 special to 357 magnum pressures? The short answer is YES, I've been doing it for years, But don't ever shoot any of these hot loads in a 38 special gun or you will likely blow it up, Even it its rated for plus p loads....
What Cuebuilder said in his post is technically correct, but what isn't well described in his post is this:

You cannot use 357mag load data for 38spcl cases.

The THEORY behind being able to load .38spcl cases to the same PRESSURE as .357mag cases in a .357mag revolver is all well and good, but unless you have a crusher barrel or a piezioelectric barrel, you'll never actually be able to know that you've matched pressures. What you can measure at home are charge weight and velocity, but that doesn't tell you much about your pressure, or how close to the ragged edge you might be running.

.38spcl+P data is readily available in all of the manuals that I own, so it's really not that hard to find. If you want to work up the pressure to max out your cases, sure, push up until you start seeing pressure signs.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is why I use .357 brass for .357 magnum even if I am loading .38 special data.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

NEVER load .38 spl cases to .357 pressures. Its definitely not a good idea. With that much pressure being in a shorter case, you'll end up making your cylinders egg shape at the very least and possibly worse. Not to mention, what if someone puts them in a .38 spl revolver by accident? There's just too many risks. Load them to +P levels as directed in your loading manual and no more. I use .38 +P in my .357, for target practice, and i'm quite satisfied with the results.