Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Which equipment? >

Which equipment?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Which equipment?

Old 02-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question Which equipment?

I am thinking about starting to reload. I have never done it before so I would like advice on what equipment to consider.

I would like to be able to reload for rifles, mainly 30-06 or 300 Win Mag. I think a single stage press would be adequate as I would want to take my time and be as accurate and consist ant as I can.

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by Rob in VT; 02-12-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Typical Buck

I actually prefer a single-stage press, but I am old school...as I still use a balance scale and hand weigh each charge and do most my brass prep by hand. I have 2 old CH single stage presses and love them...they are stronger in my opinion than the RCBS rockchucker...but I will say the rockchucker is a good beginner press. The Hornady Lock-n-load presses also get good reviews, my brother loves his! I use RCBS dies mostly and am happy with them.

Basically you need dies, a press, tumbler, powder measure, case deburring tool, powder, primers, brass and lead...and a good reloading book! I like the Nosler, Hornady and Speer books...all for different reasons. Reloading is a disease and eventually you'll need a whole room dedicated to it and more tools than carter has pills! Buy a book or two and read up a little before you buy tools...Enjoy!
Old 02-01-2013, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

And a nice caliper.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:00 AM
Typical Buck

Read the sticky, then read it again. Get a reloading manual (I think Lyman 49th is a good beginner manual), read it, read it again. Get a 2nd manual, read it, read it again. Now you should have a decent understanding of the processes to load safe, accurate ammo. I recommend that all start with a single stage press. Look at a RCBS Rock Chucker kit, it's a great deal and has most of what you need to get started. You will also need a caliper, cartridge specific shell holders and dies. As you gain knowledge, add tools to make the job more efficient and accurate. Best of luck.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Spike

RCBS Rockchucker is the press that all others are compared to.
A good caliper is an absolute must. I still have not bought into the digital caliper.
I prefer digital scales over beam scales but I still check my electric with the beam scale.
Loading my own has brought me a great deal of satisfaction over the years and when you take your first animal with handloads that satisfaction will have you hooked for life.
Most of my hunting rifles have not had a commercial round through them.
Careful because it is a consuming hobby.
Good Luck
Old 02-05-2013, 01:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been reloading for 26 years now and still using the same rockchucker I bought then. Also I still have my same balance scale, works just as good as the day I bought it. Its a lot of fun.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

If price is a factor, the single stage breech lock press from Lee would be a good choice. You can get bushings to put on each die and quickly change the dies out without having to reset them. This system is similar to the Hornady lock and load system, just quit a bit less expensive. You can also purchase a kit that will have all the basics but keep in mind that they are usable but might not be exactly what you want and then end up buying more expensive replacements. I have had good luck with Lee equipment with both a breech lock single stage and classic cast turret press. I did upgrade to an RCBS 10-10 powder scale that I like very much. Just my 2 cents worth. HD.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:52 PM
Spike

I advise getting the books "ABC's of Reloading" and "Handloader's Digest" before buying equipment.

Last edited by sixgun_symphony; 02-12-2013 at 05:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-14-2013, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

If you plan on doing this any time soon, I would start buying primers, brass and bullets wherever you can find them right now, if you don't already have them. Stuff is really scarce overall and most companies will not even take back orders at this time. Even the equipment itself can be difficult to get right now. HD.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gregrn43
I've been reloading for 26 years now and still using the same rockchucker I bought then. Also I still have my same balance scale, works just as good as the day I bought it. Its a lot of fun.
Same here!, been reloading for over 25yrs and still have the same Rockchucker press and 505 scale that i started with. I've always used RCBS products with no problems and recommend them to anyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.