Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

bullet lube?

Old 05-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default bullet lube?

Like most folks asking general questions on here,I am just getting started. I plan to start with 9mm. I was looking through some web sites and I noticed that some cast bullets come lubed and some don't. I figure,if I load cast bullets,I can drop my cost to around 12 cents per round. My question is,do I need lubed bullets? If so,should I lube them myself or buy pre-lubed? I am in no rush. I don't plan to crank out my first rounds until next month or the month after that.I am still accumulating the materials and tools I need to reload . I still need one more reloading manual[I started with the Lyman manual and I'm thinking I should get the Speer or Lee manual next], a scale, and minor tools like a chamfer.and case trimmer. But I digress. I mainly want to know about loading cast bullets. I will get a 45 sometime next year and I want to be able to reload rounds for it before I spend myself broke shooting it.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

I'd tell you to buy pre-lubed & sized.
Reason being, getting into casting AND reloading at the same time may overload you and make it seem like "too much work" and you'll be less likely to carry through with either.

For that matter...
http://www.missouribullet.com/detail...ry=8&keywords=

$.06 per boolit..

half of what you were going to cast your own for..
Old 05-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

First things first, sign up at castboolits website. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/
Cast bullets are great, that's all I shoot in my handguns, and most of what I shoot in my rifles. Bullet lube is needed for all cast bullets, whether you buy them with lube or if you lube them yourself, that's up to you. Probably best to buy them lubed, less to worry about until you figure out what works best for you. The single most important thing to successfully using cast bullets is fit. If you buy 9mm bullets that are sized like a jacketed bullet at .355", you will have lots of problems with barrel leading. I like to shoot bullets that are at least .002" larger than my bore. Learn how to slug your barrel and buy bullets accordingly.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:16 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Centaur 1
First things first, sign up at castboolits website. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/
Cast bullets are great, that's all I shoot in my handguns, and most of what I shoot in my rifles. Bullet lube is needed for all cast bullets, whether you buy them with lube or if you lube them yourself, that's up to you. Probably best to buy them lubed, less to worry about until you figure out what works best for you. The single most important thing to successfully using cast bullets is fit. If you buy 9mm bullets that are sized like a jacketed bullet at .355", you will have lots of problems with barrel leading. I like to shoot bullets that are at least .002" larger than my bore. Learn how to slug your barrel and buy bullets accordingly.
I have three 9mm pistols in the family. They are all Ruger SR9C's. Should I be able to purchase one size for all three weapons,or will I need to check them all? I guess what I mean is, are all barrels the same in the same model and calibre?
Old 06-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

With cast bullets the chamber diameter is what will limit your bullet size. For example I load for 2 different .380's one has a barrel diameter of .355" and the other .3573". The chamber on the smaller barrel is large enough to allow me to chamber a round that's loaded with a .358" diameter bullet, so I just size all of my bullets at .358". I used to size them at .356" and they worked fine, but I had to make sure that I didn't shoot them in the gun with the larger diameter bore or it would lead the barrel. Lead easily compresses in a tight bore, you could never come close to the amount of resistance that's created by a copper jacket. I'd measure all three barrel diameters and buy bullets that are .001" larger than the largest bore.