Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 loading to lands >

loading to lands

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

loading to lands

Old 08-29-2003, 03:48 PM

Default loading to lands

I have read about reloading to the lands or being .010 off or so on. How do you know if you are loading to the lands? Is that the OAL as stated in the manual? Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Chris
Old 08-29-2003, 04:41 PM

Default RE: loading to lands

I use a Stoney Point OAL Gauge to check the distance to the lands. OAL stated in a loading manual is for the cartridge OAL length only, which has nothing to do with the distance from the bullet to the barrel lands on any particular rifle.
Old 08-31-2003, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

big duck, it' s an overworked issue.....don' t get too concerned about it. Are you a hunter or a benchrest shooter?
If you are a hunter, I' d forget about it.....it' s mostly window washing.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:06 PM
bigcountry

I am with Vapodog on this one. I actually know this guy that went out to Montana Elk hunting, and couldn' t put his shells in his magizine, 7mmMag, cause he never tried. It was a one shot gun. His guide made him keep his gun unloaded while walking. So he had a one shot gun. With my target gun, I try to load out to the lands. Everything else, I load to fit in my magizine. Alot of the time, I find my most accurate COL to be alot less than that.

Old 09-02-2003, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree that loading to the lands is really not that important. Maybe if your bench shooting competition it might be helpful but like already mentioned it' s not that important for hunting. I use to beat myself up trying to get a rifle to shoot loaded up to the lands but i have found that i get better accuracy by juggling componets. I have rifles that will shoot great loaded to the lands and some that don' t like the bullet seated anywhere near the lands. I' ve seen good loads that would drive tacks at .010 off the lands and that same load from the same gun have the same accuracy at .050 off the lands. As for finding bullet oal i use a Stoney Point oal gage.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:24 PM

I try to stay .050- .040 off the lands for a hunting rifle. You get to close to the lands you are just asking for trouble. And I have found in these hunting rifles
you really don't gain that much. If you was target shooting then that would be different; you would want to tweak for every thing you can. if you are accurate
within 3 to 9 moa you are going to get any big game animal you are after. Gunsite