Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Switching to a hotter powder? >

Switching to a hotter powder?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Switching to a hotter powder?

Old 03-24-2012, 06:49 AM
Banned

Default Switching to a hotter powder?

It's been recommended that I switch my .45 LC loads to a hotter powder. I'm using H110. My question is how many steps up would be considered "hotter"? 2 steps? 6? 10?
I'm using the Hodgdon burn rate chart and for instance, and H110 is at 62. Alliant #2400 is 8 steps hotter. Is this adequate or excessive?
Old 03-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Spike

You could try using Hodgdon Lil'gun powder. You don't use as many grains per cartridge and it pretty much has the same velocity.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:48 PM
Banned

So going up one hotter powder will be enough to notice?
Here's the issue; I have unburned powder granules in my Redhawk cylinder. It's been suggested to go a little hotter powder. But how much is enough? Or not enough?
Old 03-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dig4gold
So going up one hotter powder will be enough to notice?
Here's the issue; I have unburned powder granules in my Redhawk cylinder. It's been suggested to go a little hotter powder. But how much is enough? Or not enough?
Before you go experimenting with unknown powder charges, who and why are you making this determination that you need to go to a "hotter" powder?
Maybe you are using a too cool primer. Maybe you are not seating your projectiles with enough crimp to guarantee a secure enough pull to ensure a complete powder burn.
Make sure that you are both using a documented load and powder levels to ensure a safe load in your weapon.

Are you building these loads for target or hunting?
Are you shooting lead or jacketed projectiles?
Old 03-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

you mean 8 steps FASTER.. doesn't have jack scrap to do with heat or anything else for that matter..

if you have a few granules of leftover powder, B.F.D.
if it's enough you are having ejection issues, that's another story.

Here's a clue.. 2400 leaves granules, too.

try Blue Dot.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by the Razorhead
you mean 8 steps FASTER.. doesn't have jack scrap to do with heat or anything else for that matter..

if you have a few granules of leftover powder, B.F.D.
if it's enough you are having ejection issues, that's another story.

Here's a clue.. 2400 leaves granules, too.

try Blue Dot.
I shoot H110 in my 44's for deer and hog hunting and have enough unburnt powder left over to load a .380 load!!!! But thats not saying the load is lacking anything in the needing another powder department. Its just the way some powders burn in some loads. I have loaded for over 35 yrs for all shotgun gauges except 28 and most common pistol calibers and over 25 rifle calibers. Some load combinations are just going to burn dirty no matter what you do. Some powders are just dirty no matter what you do.
If you are getting consistant accuracy and no problems with extraction of your cases from the cylinders or cratered primers, don't sweat the small stuff!!! Just shoot it as is and enjoy yourself.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

Better idea..
Vihta Vouri Tin Star...