Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Want to get started in reloading >

Want to get started in reloading

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Want to get started in reloading

Old 01-11-2012, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Want to get started in reloading

Hello all. I would like to get started in reloading and have been doing some research on the subject. I was hoping to get some advice on the choice of press.

I will be reloading:
30-06
30-30
38/357

As mentioned this is my first time doing this. Am I better off keeping it simple and use a single stage while I learn and decide if I really want to get in to this? Go with a turret press, again simple but a little faster (?) than the single stage which should help with cranking out pistol ammo. Or go progressive?

I have decided on RCBS so it would be the Rock Chucker, the RCBS turret or the Pro 2000.

Thank you again for your thoughts and comments.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

You cant go wrong with the rockchucker, I have had mine for 24yrs and never had a problem with it. I have never loaded any pistol rounds before, so I am no help there. Reloading is tons of fun and allows me to shoot more often.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

You cant go wrong with the rockchucker
I am reading mixed reviews on the priming system of the Turret Press. The RockChucker looks like a great piece of equipment was just hoping for something a little faster.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:51 AM
Typical Buck

When starting out, a single stage is the only way to go. After you have learned the do's and don'ts of reloading, if you want a progressive......buy one. In the beginning, focus on reading as much as possible and not worrying about speed but producing accurate safe ammo.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

A good point Wayspr all the speed in the world won't matter if your ammo isn't safe!

Thanks.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take a look at the Lyman T-mag turret press. They're the same price as the rockchucker and built extremely sturdy. I don't prime on any of my presses, I have the Hornady hand priming tool. With the hand primer I can do my priming while watching tv with the family.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Centaur I will.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't put much stock in any priming system that's part of a press. Using a hand priming tool is exponentially faster and allows much greater consistency.

JMO - Turret presses are an unnecessary gimmick. Consistency is truly your friend when it comes to reloading. I've actually watched guys rotate the dies around the ram one round at a time and the results at the range were ... well, let's just say "not terribly impressive."

On the other hand, if you have 100 or more empty .30-06 cases laying around that justify a reloading session and you have a set of .30-30 dies set up in your turret press, you're going to dismount and re-mount exactly as many die bodies as you would if you were using a single-stage press. It's really more a matter of whether you want to do the setup all at once or at the beginning of every operation.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a rockchucker, but I have recently converted it to the Hornady lock-n-load bushing system, which has seemed promising so far.

Like others have said, don't prime with the press, use a hand primer. Much easier and quicker.

I have an automatic powder dispenser (Hornady). Kind of expensive, but easy to use and much quicker than the scoop and balance beam scales.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have 30-30 and .38 special brass for sale in the classifieds/guns forum.

rogerstv

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.