Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Full Length vs neck sizing >

Full Length vs neck sizing

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Full Length vs neck sizing

Old 07-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Spike

Default Full Length vs neck sizing

What is the advantagle of neck sizing over full lenght sizing? It's my understanding that when loading rounds that will be used in one particular rifle is when you could neck size only, is this correct? Why would one want to neck size only?

Obviously, I'm just getting into reloading. I've read three reloading manuals but not reloaded my first round yet.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

Neck sizing will create more consistent velocities. Works the case much less, improve case life.

Now the bad. Besides the collet neck sizer most neck sizers do not support the case and cause the neck to go out of round. Sometimes anyway. Second, after neck sizing a few times, hard extraction. Also kinda dangerous if going hunting because you might have trouble inserting a round. I full length my hunting rounds usually.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just neck sizing the case is done for one rifle in particular like you mentioned. Normally you will get a little better accuracy by only neck sizing enough so when you reload the case it will hold the new bullet tight. The rest of the case has been fireformed to that particular rifle chamber and a case should take a number of reloads before it needs to be full length resized if the guns chamber is in good shape.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

What about neck sizing vs FLS in a single shot such as ProHunter or Encore. Does neck sizing eliminate head space issues? What about neck sizing in belted magnums for a single shot?
Old 07-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

Yep SJ, I neck size in encore. Anyway you can form your case for your chamber helps.

But also have risks.

with a belted cartridge, it just keeps the neck from being overworked
Old 07-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by C120
What is the advantagle of neck sizing over full lenght sizing? It's my understanding that when loading rounds that will be used in one particular rifle is when you could neck size only, is this correct? Why would one want to neck size only?

Obviously, I'm just getting into reloading. I've read three reloading manuals but not reloaded my first round yet.
What manuals? All of the ones I have cover the advantages and disadvantages of both Neck and FL sizing.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

So neck sizing in a single shot with a belted magnum eliminates head space issues?
Old 07-13-2011, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
belted cases headspace on the belt, ok? no matter how bad you screw up sizing the belted cases they will go off, the trick with belted cases for long case life is to set the dies where the case also headspaces on the shoulder, this keeps from over working the brass causing it to become brittle, and messing up neck tension prematurely.
You can do this with either a neck sizer or a FL sizer set to just partialy full length resize, but if you use a neck sizer there will still come a time when ya hafta bump the shoulders back as the brass becomes harder from repeated firings and grows.
RR
Understood. Thanks.