Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
22-250 14" twist game bullet >

22-250 14" twist game bullet

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

22-250 14" twist game bullet

Old 06-07-2011, 08:24 AM
  #11  
Nontypical Buck
 
rafsob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hayes, Va.
Posts: 2,332
Default

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
My way of reading this post, you can't use a 224 cal in va, so you never have, correct? how do you know its not suitable?
its within about 100 ft/lbs of the 30/30 at 100 yards, is the 30/30 suitable?
use a good bullet and it works, as does the 223, I've killed alot of deer with both.
RR
What part of not being able to hunt in Va. with a .22 caliber gun didn't you get pal. It is illegal! I can kill a deer with a sling shot if I had to, but is it humane? I don't think so and maybe that is why it is illegal in my state.

And as far as experience, how about 55 + years in the shooting business. Also, a ballistics expert in law enforcement for more then 15 years.
rafsob is offline  
Old 06-07-2011, 08:40 AM
  #12  
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wide open Nevada
Posts: 515
Default

Gently fella's. Please.
harter66 is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 10:59 AM
  #13  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 260
Default

I have killed at least a dozen deer with a .22-250. It can be done.

That said, I prefer more power, so I use a .30-06. I've had a few long tracking jobs with the .22-250. Tracking a deer is great fun, but it probably isn't the most humane way to do things, so now I use a bigger stick.

For those who are patient, careful about shot angle, don't overdo it on range, and don't shoot at running deer, a .22-250 is perfectly fine for deer.

I prefer larger caliber because I don't want to worry about shot angle, sometimes hunt at long range, and sometimes shoot at running deer.

I don't understand why some people think that because they do things a certain way, everyone else should too.
Prairie Wolf is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 03:49 PM
  #14  
Spike
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SE QLD Australia
Posts: 11
Default

Originally Posted by Prairie Wolf View Post
I have killed at least a dozen deer with a .22-250. It can be done.

That said, I prefer more power, so I use a .30-06. I've had a few long tracking jobs with the .22-250. Tracking a deer is great fun, but it probably isn't the most humane way to do things, so now I use a bigger stick.

For those who are patient, careful about shot angle, don't overdo it on range, and don't shoot at running deer, a .22-250 is perfectly fine for deer.

I prefer larger caliber because I don't want to worry about shot angle, sometimes hunt at long range, and sometimes shoot at running deer.

I don't understand why some people think that because they do things a certain way, everyone else should too.
I use this analogy. If I was in front of a firing squad would I want to be shot by a 7mm08 to the vitals or a 22 250 to the vitals. Using good hunting ethics leads me to make a decision in favour of the animal.
deerndingo is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 07:22 PM
  #15  
Nontypical Buck
 
rafsob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hayes, Va.
Posts: 2,332
Talking

Cudos to you deerndingo. Finally a man with some integrity.

I play this same game. I lost one once and it bothered me for quite a while.

A lot of people forget why the army went to the 5.56/.223, it's wounding power. It was light to care and you could carry more. Recoil was very manageable and it would wound an enemy and them it would then take more enemy soldiers to carry him off the battle field. But when hunting we don't want to wound, we want to get as clean a kill as possible.
rafsob is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 01:33 PM
  #16  
Spike
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SE QLD Australia
Posts: 11
Default

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
The expert failed to mention the standard bullet for the 5.56 is a non-expanding metal case, which even in the 308 will wound a deer, put a good bullet in them and its adequate!
RR
I didn't get the bit in his post where he said he was an expert. I do see your point that modern hunting projectiles inflict a greater amount of damage than FMJs. Even with that I'd still ellect to be shot by a 7mm08 to the vitals than a 22-250. A well placed 22-250 will do the job, but a 7mm08 or such will do a better job quicker every time.

I think there are a lot of new hunters who do read these posts so I think we need to set an example for those newbies. We should be showing them how to do it the right way first up. If they want to go do something else later then so be it, but a 7mm08 and such is a better deer calibre than a 22-250 under varying circumstances.
deerndingo is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 02:24 PM
  #17  
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wide open Nevada
Posts: 515
Default

It's funny,why does the OP want to usee the 22-250 for deer ? Is this his only rifle ? Maybe there is some real valid reason for his choice. Times are tight id say since he sighted the least FMJ/varmiter like bullets around that he's an ethical hunter.
harter66 is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 04:35 PM
  #18  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 260
Default

Originally Posted by deerndingo View Post
I use this analogy. If I was in front of a firing squad would I want to be shot by a 7mm08 to the vitals or a 22 250 to the vitals. Using good hunting ethics leads me to make a decision in favour of the animal.
And what decision would that be? To let him go because you don't want to hurt the poor thing?

At ranges less than 100 yards, I don't think there will be any difference in the amount of the amount of time the deer stays alive. A .22-250 has less energy, but it will dump that energy right where it is needed with little wasted. At least it does with a varmint bullet. The problem with a .22-250 is not with the chip shots, it is when you have to penetrate to get to the vitals.

If you are concerned about being humane, a 7mm08 isn't exactly the biggest gun out there either.
Prairie Wolf is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 06:00 PM
  #19  
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wide open Nevada
Posts: 515
Default

Ohoh here it comes!

I wanna be 1st!

Ya gots ta have a 300WM for thems anti-lopers and at least a 458 for whitetail,oh the humanity of it all........er something.
harter66 is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 06:46 PM
  #20  
Nontypical Buck
 
rafsob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hayes, Va.
Posts: 2,332
Angry

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
The expert failed to mention the standard bullet for the 5.56 is a non-expanding metal case, which even in the 308 will wound a deer, put a good bullet in them and its adequate!
RR
I gotta ask you RR,is your ass as big as your confrentational mouth? I always say talk or in this case write as if the guy is standing in front of you. I guess you missed that class.
rafsob is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.