Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
223 12twist heaviest bullet? >

223 12twist heaviest bullet?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

223 12twist heaviest bullet?

Old 03-18-2011, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
I'd like to hear how bearing surface of a particular bullet effects how fast a bullet is spun as it travels down the barrel.
The bearing surface of a given projectile will have no impact on its rotational speed. One turn in ten inches is one turn in ten inches.

What becomes more complicated are the relationships between a projectile's center of gravity and center of pressure, and how those then interact with influences such as forward velocity and ballistic coefficient. I've probably forgotten too much to be able to explain it effectively here. Bearing surface is only one predictor of cg and cp, but it doesn't completely define either (construction and materials also play a role).

While the Miller and Greenhill Methods provide good guidelines to predict stability, I'd come to accept even prior to using either of them that my 1:14 .22-250 likes nothing heavier than 45-grains. My 1:9 .223s (bolt guns and an AR) generally prefer something in the 50- to 55-grain range, while my lone 1:7 AR prefers 60-70 grain bullets. Both of those methods generally confirm those preferences.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:25 AM
Typical Buck

You can stabilize a lighter grain bullet in a tighter twist but hardly ever will you stabilize a heavy bullet in a slower twist rifle barrel. For a 1 in 12 twist barrel I'd stop fighting the bullet craze and go straight for the 55gr bullets. They'll work perfect for almost all applications in that rifle.

Head is right if you want to shoot 70 gr bullets buy or build the rifle that shoots those well.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackelk
For a 1 in 12 twist barrel I'd stop fighting the bullet craze and go straight for the 55gr bullets.
I'd probably look more toward 50-grain with a 1:12, but I've also used 55s.

JMO, but the "rules of thumb" to me have more utility in deciding what bullet weight or profile NOT to use for a particular use than they assist in telling me exactly which one be perfect. Beyond that, here's another topic that winds up being WAY overthought. Go shoot it. See how it does. Adjust (THE most underrated capability and advantage of being a reloader).
Old 03-19-2011, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

i use 55g rem cl now, wantin somethin a lil heavier. i know its a flyin brick, but im stayin inside of 80-100 yards, and need a lil more thunderous impact on these hogs, tired of chasin em into the thicket...which is only 20-60 yards away. hard to crawl through them hog tunnels and get em. they never run far, but the thicket is close lol
Old 03-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by homers brother
I'd probably look more toward 50-grain with a 1:12, but I've also used 55s.

JMO, but the "rules of thumb" to me have more utility in deciding what bullet weight or profile NOT to use for a particular use than they assist in telling me exactly which one be perfect. Beyond that, here's another topic that winds up being WAY overthought. Go shoot it. See how it does. Adjust (THE most underrated capability and advantage of being a reloader).

...... Yessir... I agree.