HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Nickel 308 and 44 Mag cases. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/341443-nickel-308-44-mag-cases.html)

SecondChance 03-05-2011 05:35 PM

Nickel 308 and 44 Mag cases.

Does anyone use nickel cases for hunting loads and have a hard time finding them? I use them in my 44 mag and 308 and no one around here seems to have them or use them. I can't see to buy them as factory and either burn them or tear apart to rebuild them. Anyone have any once fired willing to part with?

fritz1 03-05-2011 06:43 PM

I use them in my 44 mags. I ordered 500 Remington nickle plated 44 Mags.from Midway about 6 months ago, they back ordered them for about two months but I finally got them.

pnut 03-06-2011 05:45 AM

I see nickel cases on gunbroker.com all the time.

Pawildman 03-06-2011 08:16 AM

.... I use nickle plated .45LC cases when reloading for my Ruger Vaquero in brushed stainless... just looks cooler. Other than that, I don't use them at all.

TUK101 03-06-2011 09:10 PM

I like how easy they size. They just seem a bit slicker going through the carbide sizing die. I use them mostly in 44 mag, but have a few in other calibers too.

HEAD0001 03-17-2011 03:35 PM

I like to use Nickel cases. But I use them for a different reason than most people.

I like to practice alot with my different handguns and rifles. And I have a reduced load worked up for about every firearm I have. Including some great Gallery loads for 45-70 and 45 Colt.

What I do is I use regular brass for my heavy loads. And I use nickel plated brass for all my light loads. That makes it very easy to always know which rounds I am shooting. Tom.

BCRules 03-17-2011 06:47 PM

I like nickel, but they are rough on dies. Even carbide dies. Take your mandel out of your collet die after sizing nickel. And see what it looks like.

SecondChance 03-19-2011 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by HEAD0001 (Post 3787724)
I like to use Nickel cases. But I use them for a different reason than most people.

I like to practice alot with my different handguns and rifles. And I have a reduced load worked up for about every firearm I have. Including some great Gallery loads for 45-70 and 45 Colt.

What I do is I use regular brass for my heavy loads. And I use nickel plated brass for all my light loads. That makes it very easy to always know which rounds I am shooting. Tom.

I use them for the exact opposite reason as you!!!!! I use te regular brass for my target and practice loads and nickel for hunting loads for easy ID.

cataway 04-03-2011 01:45 AM

the only reason nickel was used that was was because brass reacts with the chemicals in the gun belt leather ,because brass turns green , nickel does not. other than its pretty there is no reason to use nickel unless your carrying your cartridges in leather

SecondChance 04-03-2011 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by cataway (Post 3794348)
the only reason nickel was used that was was because brass reacts with the chemicals in the gun belt leather ,because brass turns green , nickel does not. other than its pretty there is no reason to use nickel unless your carrying your cartridges in leather

I knew that and the reason I use them is for ID purposes. I can pick up the round either on my loading bench or shooting bucket and know EXACTLY what it is. I am a firm (and subscriber!!!!) of the K.I.S.S. method!!!!!!