Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Nickel 308 and 44 Mag cases. >

Nickel 308 and 44 Mag cases.

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Nickel 308 and 44 Mag cases.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Nickel 308 and 44 Mag cases.

Does anyone use nickel cases for hunting loads and have a hard time finding them? I use them in my 44 mag and 308 and no one around here seems to have them or use them. I can't see to buy them as factory and either burn them or tear apart to rebuild them. Anyone have any once fired willing to part with?

Last edited by SecondChance; 03-10-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use them in my 44 mags. I ordered 500 Remington nickle plated 44 Mags.from Midway about 6 months ago, they back ordered them for about two months but I finally got them.

Last edited by fritz1; 03-05-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I see nickel cases on gunbroker.com all the time.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

.... I use nickle plated .45LC cases when reloading for my Ruger Vaquero in brushed stainless... just looks cooler. Other than that, I don't use them at all.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like how easy they size. They just seem a bit slicker going through the carbide sizing die. I use them mostly in 44 mag, but have a few in other calibers too.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to use Nickel cases. But I use them for a different reason than most people.

I like to practice alot with my different handguns and rifles. And I have a reduced load worked up for about every firearm I have. Including some great Gallery loads for 45-70 and 45 Colt.

What I do is I use regular brass for my heavy loads. And I use nickel plated brass for all my light loads. That makes it very easy to always know which rounds I am shooting. Tom.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

I like nickel, but they are rough on dies. Even carbide dies. Take your mandel out of your collet die after sizing nickel. And see what it looks like.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
I like to use Nickel cases. But I use them for a different reason than most people.

I like to practice alot with my different handguns and rifles. And I have a reduced load worked up for about every firearm I have. Including some great Gallery loads for 45-70 and 45 Colt.

What I do is I use regular brass for my heavy loads. And I use nickel plated brass for all my light loads. That makes it very easy to always know which rounds I am shooting. Tom.
I use them for the exact opposite reason as you!!!!! I use te regular brass for my target and practice loads and nickel for hunting loads for easy ID.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

the only reason nickel was used that was was because brass reacts with the chemicals in the gun belt leather ,because brass turns green , nickel does not. other than its pretty there is no reason to use nickel unless your carrying your cartridges in leather
Old 04-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cataway
the only reason nickel was used that was was because brass reacts with the chemicals in the gun belt leather ,because brass turns green , nickel does not. other than its pretty there is no reason to use nickel unless your carrying your cartridges in leather
I knew that and the reason I use them is for ID purposes. I can pick up the round either on my loading bench or shooting bucket and know EXACTLY what it is. I am a firm (and subscriber!!!!) of the K.I.S.S. method!!!!!!