Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

neck sizing

Old 02-26-2011, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default neck sizing

ok whats going on, I bought some lee collet dies neck sized one enough to try and measure seating depth, well it wont chamber
Hmmmmm so I start trying other cases that havent been sized and I cant get any fired cases from my gun to chamber, none.
yes they are from my gun fired before.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK. Try rotating a previously fired case from that gun a bit at a time and see if it will at some point allow the bolt to close. If so, your chamber is slightly out of round. Not totally unusual. Neck sizing may be not an option for you, and you may have to go to full length. Do you know how to set your FL die for minimal body sizing and only touch the shoulders?
Old 02-26-2011, 06:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by zrexpilot
ok whats going on, I bought some lee collet dies neck sized one enough to try and measure seating depth, well it wont chamber
Hmmmmm so I start trying other cases that havent been sized and I cant get any fired cases from my gun to chamber, none.
yes they are from my gun fired before.
If in your neck sizing process you bulged the shoulder of the cartridge by pushing back on it to hard you may have caused a chambering problem.

To check Pawildman theory... do you still have a shell that you have not neck sized? If you do try chambering it, if it chambers you probably have you neck sizing dies set wrong....

Just guessing....
Old 02-27-2011, 05:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pawildman
OK. Try rotating a previously fired case from that gun a bit at a time and see if it will at some point allow the bolt to close. If so, your chamber is slightly out of round. Not totally unusual. Neck sizing may be not an option for you, and you may have to go to full length. Do you know how to set your FL die for minimal body sizing and only touch the shoulders?
Agreed. This would suck but what your explaining is probably the issue Don is pointing you to
Old 02-27-2011, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
how many times they been fired before neck sizing?
RR

3 times all full lrngth sized before .
i have tried partial sizing but ran across 2 or 3 that wouldnt chamber so went back to full sizing.
ill try rotating an see
Old 02-27-2011, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ok tried it, I could find a spot that it would close with a little force, whats funny is after that you could rotate again and it would close with a little force, was it enough to shape it a little on the first closing, either way still to tight for me.