Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Need Powder Scale Recommendation >

Need Powder Scale Recommendation

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Need Powder Scale Recommendation

Old 12-26-2010, 06:59 PM
Spike

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot..._SEQ_104661180

cant beat the price and its pretty accurate
Old 12-27-2010, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh, this does sound familiar.

For volume reloading of extruded powder, I finally went to the RCBS combo. I still check it against my original 5.0.5 and also against a set of RCBS accessory check weights.

The lowest cost, lowest volume solution I found along the way involved my standard RCBS Uniflow with a baffle (also an RCBS accessory) dialed back a tenth or two, finishing up with a trickler on the beam scale. Tedious, yes. But, the time spent in case prep and measuring powder reduced significantly the shot-to-shot differences that can only be found using a chronograph and, in turn, promoted very consistent accuracy once I found a load my rifle liked.

I know you've already gone a different route, that's okay. Anyone else who might be thinking the same thing or is just starting out reloading would be well served by the basic "Rockchucker Combo" or similar package as their base setup, accessorize with a powder baffle, a manual case trimmer and caliper, check weights for the scale, and a powder trickler - all fairly low-cost additions. Strongly consider a good chronograph as your next major purchase. A chrono will open a whole new world of exterior ballistics. If you get to a point where you're going through a lot of ammunition, particularly plinking or varminting, it might make some sense to add a digital scale/dispenser combo. Otherwise, you can save a LOT of money and really begin to capitalize on the performance of reloaded ammunition by purchasing the RIGHT accessories.

JMO - the chrono is the least understood, most intimidating (financially and mathematically) accessory that many average reloaders next to rule out. They're not that expensive (less than a digital scale combo), and they're not all that complicated (you might need a tripod and be able to follow directions). All of which are well within most reloaders' abilities. If you reload now without a chronograph, how do you know - beyond what a book says that load did in THEIR rifle - how your reload is performing in YOUR rifle?

Last edited by homers brother; 12-27-2010 at 05:10 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

ive got the rcbs rangemaster,excellent scale and is very accurate,i use a trickler and i cant complain.mite take a few seconds longer but it was in my price range.i use it for my rifles only as i dont load pistol ammo
Old 01-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Spike

I've been looking at a new scale too, the Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Charge. I have nto seen too much feedback on them but watched some video on YouTube on them. The prices I've seen are between 218-249.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:57 AM
Fork Horn

"JMO - the chrono is the least understood, most intimidating (financially and mathematically) accessory that many average reloaders next to rule out. They're not that expensive (less than a digital scale combo), and they're not all that complicated (you might need a tripod and be able to follow directions). All of which are well within most reloaders' abilities. If you reload now without a chronograph, how do you know - beyond what a book says that load did in THEIR rifle - how your reload is performing in YOUR rifle?"

+1. A few years ago, I bought a used ProChrony at a gun show for $90. It was a great investment. No more guessing about MV's and trajectory.