Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
.9mm Lead, Plated or Factory?? >

.9mm Lead, Plated or Factory??

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

.9mm Lead, Plated or Factory??

Old 12-03-2010, 04:59 PM
Spike

Default .9mm Lead, Plated or Factory??

My son and I are new to reloading. We have pretty much everything we need... at least that we have found so far! We got interested in IDPA so reloading should be "profitable" for us. I was going to buy some Hornady .9mm bullets, but I found that Federal FMJ (box of 50) are actually cheaper to buy at WM than to load my own. We have not loaded any .9mm yet, although we have loaded some other calibers. A guy at work suggested lead bullets, and someone at an IDPA match told me to check out Berry's Plated. Does anyone have any recommendations/criticisms about these bullets as far as cost, accuracy, fouling, etc? The Federal cartridges at WM locally are $10 a box. Hornady bullets, with shipping, put them at about the same price after loading my own brass. Should I continue to buy the factory loads? Thanks for the input.

Kerrdog
Old 12-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

check out dardas cast bullets for lead. I have loaded some 9mm and if u buy them by the thousand they are cheap.

9mm fmj is kind of a wash from what i can tell. the only advantage would be making custom loads.

however, if you are loading self defence hollow points you will definately come out ahead. Ive had good luck with remington 115g and 124g hollow points (cheap if you buy them by the thousand also from Midwayusa.com). Everyone is going to say dont carry reloads for self defence for the liability though.

Overall you wont save much reloading plinking rounds in the popular calibers like 9mm and 223.

Checkout handloads.com and they have a reloading calculator that will do all the math for you.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
check out dardas cast bullets for lead. I have loaded some 9mm and if u buy them by the thousand they are cheap.

9mm fmj is kind of a wash from what i can tell. the only advantage would be making custom loads.

however, if you are loading self defence hollow points you will definately come out ahead. Ive had good luck with remington 115g and 124g hollow points (cheap if you buy them by the thousand also from Midwayusa.com). Everyone is going to say dont carry reloads for self defence for the liability though.

Overall you wont save much reloading plinking rounds in the popular calibers like 9mm and 223.

Checkout handloads.com and they have a reloading calculator that will do all the math for you.
Cool! Thanks MB.

Kerrdog
Old 12-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
Everyone is going to say dont carry reloads for self defence for the liability though.
This is no joke!

Don't ever use your own handloads for self defence. Just a law suit waiting to happen or a prison sentence. Always stick with factory ammunition.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by 7MMXBOLT
This is no joke!

Don't ever use your own handloads for self defence. Just a law suit waiting to happen or a prison sentence. Always stick with factory ammunition.
Never heard of that before... why??