Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Lee Case Trimmer >

Lee Case Trimmer

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Lee Case Trimmer

Old 10-07-2010, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lee Case Trimmer

Hello All,

I read a bunch of very positive reviews of the Lee Case Trimmer. I've tried searching for it and can't seem to find what I think it should look like. Can someone provide a link to it and describe how it works. How it cuts the cases down consistently.

Seems to me like it's two pieces. Does that mean you have to measure every one that you cut? Over and over again?

Tom
Old 10-07-2010, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lee makes two case trimmers.I use this one-
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=476992
Low cost and it works great.
The other-
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=515804
Never tried it.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok I got it. Found some stuff online. So what is everyone's opinion of this set up?

Tom
Old 10-07-2010, 07:17 AM
Typical Buck

I use this one.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=476992

What it doesn't show is the 3rd item needed which is a rod that is caliber specific as well as the case holder that comes with the rod. The rod is what measures the casing because it fits through the primer hole and hits the base for a consistent measurement. It makes a lot more sense when you have it in front of you. I like it, it works great. It is rough on the fingers if you are doing a lot of cases. I usually do about 20 -30 cases at a time. and then do the rest the next day. If you have a drill or cordless screwdriver that the holder fits into, that makes it quicker and easier.
Good luck!
Old 10-07-2010, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

It is slow. I got by with it for years till I bought a large quantity of .223 cases. Then I needed something better. Here's what I did:

I bought the Lee universal 3 jaw chuck, and put it an electric drill with the spindle. Then I use the lee trimmer. I think it speeds up the process quite a bit, but best of all, I don't get blisters on my fingers. I can do a hundred cases a lot faster this way.

Be advised, that if you are going to do a lot of ammo, there are better options, check youtube. You're going to have a lot of money into it.

Good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i42nD...eature=related

Better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EeZ6...eature=related

The other lee equipment works just fine, but it is slow. If you are going to do large batches of ammo, I recommend you at least get the three jaw chuck, because the lock stud requires enough torque to hold the case that you will get sore fingers.

For low volume loading, say 50 rounds at a time, the regular stuff works too.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm mostly interested in precision. In a given year I may only shoot about 800 rounds max.

How precise is it? Very repeatable?

Thanks

Tom
Old 10-08-2010, 06:40 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by statjunk
I'm mostly interested in precision. In a given year I may only shoot about 800 rounds max.

How precise is it? Very repeatable?

Thanks

Tom
I don't really know, I've never measured. The concept is, you have your cases sized, and the sized cases fit snug around the trim pilot. The end of the pilot goes through the flash hole and hits the lock stud.

In theory, everything is up tight against something else, so trimming should be repeatable. The only thing I can think of that would throw you off is a burr or a slightly bent case rim that affects your length a little bit, but that would probably get you with other systems too.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info.

Anyone else measure cases after trimming with this set up?

Tom