Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
.338 Federal and the Barnes 160 gr. TSX??? >

.338 Federal and the Barnes 160 gr. TSX???

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

.338 Federal and the Barnes 160 gr. TSX???

Old 06-17-2010, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking .338 Federal and the Barnes 160 gr. TSX???

I always felt that the larger and heavier .338 bullets may be a little too heavey for the Federal round. Barnes has a 160 grain TSX bullet and I finally spent a sizable amount of cash for 50 bullets.

I am having a hard trime finding any data for this bullet. Barnes has only two listings for RL7 and AA2230. I am familiar with the reloader powders, but not the AA2230 powder. I have tried to find some of the RL7 in my local area, but to no avail.

Has anyone found any other data or worked up some loads using other powders?

Thanks!!!!!
Old 06-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alliant powder has a listing for several bullets with several powders for that round, but not the Barnes bullets, or bullets that light. You might look up the individual powder companies, and look up their information, or send them an email. They are usually pretty good.

Later,

Marcial

P.S. - Just looked at IMR's website. Here is some good information, with that specific bullet.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Last edited by charlie brown; 06-17-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

Just letting you know unless you are going to try to use it for a bean field rifle, the 200 seem to work very well. I prefer the speers over the horn but they do hit hard and put deer down quick.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by rjhans53
Just letting you know unless you are going to try to use it for a bean field rifle, the 200 seem to work very well. I prefer the speers over the horn but they do hit hard and put deer down quick.
Now were is the fun in that? You know that if they make a 160, 180 and 185 gr. bullet we will want to try them. I am happy with the 200 I shoot now, but would like to see and understand the performacne of these small bullets.

I will be getting some H322 powder and reload some test rounds and get to the range next week. Hopefully I will have a good range report.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

rafsob, ya know I sort of forgot our obligation to help out with the economy. I've played a little with Nosler 180 but they didn't group worth nothin in my guns with the powders I tried.