Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Lead sled

Old 05-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default Lead sled

Question? for all you bench rest reloaders, do you use some kind of support when you test your reloads? What do you use? I am not the greatest shot and sometimes I wonder if it is the cartage or me. I use a rock solid Cabbalas front support but the butt of the rifle is firm against my shoulder. I know that using a lead sled or similar device will not sharpen my shooting skills but it may help me to test my reloads, what say you?
Old 05-09-2010, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot my loads on a leadsled, off sandbags and just using my bipod with rear support.
Depends on where I'm shooting to what I use.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default I'm a cheapskate ...

I got some old scrap lumber, pieces of an old towel, some nails and staples, and put this thing together ...

Old 05-11-2010, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use sand bags or a solid rest, I have an RCBS Rock.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sauer06
Question? for all you bench rest reloaders, do you use some kind of support when you test your reloads? What do you use? I am not the greatest shot and sometimes I wonder if it is the cartage or me. I use a rock solid Cabbalas front support but the butt of the rifle is firm against my shoulder. I know that using a lead sled or similar device will not sharpen my shooting skills but it may help me to test my reloads, what say you?
.........Get yourself an adjustable front rest and a GOOD pair of front and rear sandbags. Learn how to use them correctly. Personally, I don't like the Leadsled. Way too cumbersome to haul around and set up with enough weight to work right. I can't get comfortable with one, and it leaves me shooting in an unnatural position. Once you learn to manage recoil correctly, you'll do just fine.... Oh... also get a GOOD set of hearing protectors. A LOT of flinch is noise related. More skeered of the BANG than the shove.......
Old 05-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Uncle Bud's Bulls Bag. Good luck.

Last edited by handloader1; 05-23-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

This lead sled thing has been kicked around a good bit. Do a search and you will find some good information-or opinions. Personally I do not like them. I think your money would be better spent on 22 shells so you can practice your technique.

A lot of guys like them. But I can tell you one thing. You never see one on a BR table?? That is a real BR shooter?? And weight is not an issue with these guys. Heck you can barely pick up some of their front rests. Tom.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Banned

i use the Caldwell CFX. Love it!

Another great Caldwell is the Tack Driver rest, Very affordable,
Old 05-13-2010, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

Thx for all of the replays guys, maybe I just need to practice more.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Typical Buck

I think the stability of the table or platform you shoot off of is probably more important then the rest itself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.