Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Hunting load for 44 rem mag for Lever action? >

Hunting load for 44 rem mag for Lever action?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Hunting load for 44 rem mag for Lever action?

Old 05-05-2010, 07:51 AM
Spike

Default Hunting load for 44 rem mag for Lever action?

Hi all!
I want to use my Marlin 1894 44 rem mag for deer-hunting (European roe-deer - about 40 lbs life-weight, maybe wild boar, too). Any suggestions for the bullet? will shoot max 100 yards, Hodgdon H110 is on the bench...
Thanks!
thecyclone
Old 05-05-2010, 09:00 AM
bigcountry

23gr of H110 with 240gr XTP. You can go to 24gr, but it shows pressures signs on the primer for my gun. You should be able to achieve 1550fps out of a rifle.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

As BC said. H110 will do you well. Personally I like Alliant 2400. But they are pretty close together. Personally I would go with a cast bullet. Start with a 240 grain bullet. I like the 300 grain pills, but sometimes the longer bullets do not work well in the Marlin rifles. If you do not cast your own then call one of the top bullet companies and order some. Many times they will send you a sample pack of a few of each 44 bullet they sell so you can try them out for accuracy first. The XTP is also a good choice, however I prefer cast bullets. But then I cast my own. However a good cast bullet should still be cheaper, even if you have to buy them. And they will easily get the job done. Just be sure you completely clean your rifle before you shoot cast bullets if you have shot jacketed bullets in the rifle before. Cast and jacketed bullets do not play well together. Tom.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

20 grains of 2400 and 240g nosler JSP is awesome in my 1894. 5 holes touching at 50 (yards with a scope)
ive killled a 1.5 year old spike with it and he only ran 20 yards with a double lung shot.