Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

ladder test?

Old 04-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Spike

Default ladder test?

I am loading for a new 7mm-08 rifle and would like to start with the ladder test. The rifle has a fairly deep throat so I can't start near the lands. What seating depth should i start at? The saami max length of 2.800 (Any longer won't fit in the magazine) or the depth the bullet mfg list in their reloading manual?

Last edited by fabricator21; 04-27-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:34 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by fabricator21
I am loading for a new 7mm-08 rifle and would like to start with the ladder test. The rifle has a fairly deep throat so I can't start near the lands. What seating depth should i start at? The saami max length of 2.800 (Any longer won't fit in the magazine) or the depth the bullet mfg list in their reloading manual?
I would first find out if going to max load is safe at 2.8". I would then use that load that was below pressure signs, and go down in COL in .01" increments. Any finer than that gets confusing. Keeping a close eye on pressure signs along the way.