Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
.270 win 140 gr partion load >

.270 win 140 gr partion load

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

.270 win 140 gr partion load

Old 03-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default .270 win 140 gr partion load

I am going on a couple whitetail hunts this yr. out west and to Alberta. I can't find the load I want in factory so I am thinking of having a friend reload me some. Does anyone have a good accruate load for a 140 grain nosler partioner in a .270 win. I would like to have it travel at least 3000 fps. Thanks
Old 03-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wouldn't put any money on 3k fps, though I'd try burnin '22
Old 03-30-2010, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

Fill er' up with H-4350 and a magnum primer and you'll be in the 2900 fps range, more than enough to drop any whitetail you'll ever see in Alberta in it's tracks.. that 140 partition will make instant work of anything..reat bullet..
Old 03-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gonewest
I am going on a couple whitetail hunts this yr. out west and to Alberta. I can't find the load I want in factory so I am thinking of having a friend reload me some. Does anyone have a good accruate load for a 140 grain nosler partioner in a .270 win. I would like to have it travel at least 3000 fps. Thanks

.........Well, speed is nice. Real nice. But if I were you, I'd make sure the load workup was done in YOUR gun, and provided a reasonable amount of accuracy too. 3000 fps doesn't mean squat if you can't hit what you're lookin' at. A little practice will go a long way, also. Yep, that 140 NP certainly oughta do the job if you can get it to shoot...........
Old 03-30-2010, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

I understand all guns shoot different but for the most part does the weight of the bullet cause more of an inconsistency or more the speed of the round. What i'm trying to say is that should I try 130 gr. pationers also and vary speed or jst stay with the 140's. That is really what I would like. Thanks for all the input
Old 03-30-2010, 06:28 PM
DKA
Spike

I use 140 Gr Nosler Bullets only, over IMR 4350 and it will do a number on a deer. Very accurate load @ about 2900 fps.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have you shot the Remington Premier line of ammo in your rifle?
They load the 270-Winchester with the 140-garin Swift A-Frame bullet. The Swift A-Frame will prefom like the Nosler Partition. I reload myself and I use both Nosler Partition and Swift A-Frame bullets in all of my biggame rifles. I have had great results with both bullets on deer & elk.

Good luck hunting,

W.K.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

I ran into a deal on the Rem. 140's your talking about I got 3 boxes they were 10 bucks off but haven't tried them. After I bought them I read some bad reviews about misfires and I even tried to take them back. I even wondered if that was why tey were such a deal. I will try them but I'm going on some real throphy hunts and would shiett if the gun didn't fire on a big buck. I don't think I can trust them but if they shoot great I might use them on some lesser hunts.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have reloaded for two 270-Winchester's, both rifles were fairly easy to find a reload that shot well. I am not going to post either load because they were just over the max load in the manual. The powders used were Hodgdon-4831 and Hodgdon-4350. Both powders have been good to me in the past. I am sure most of the people on this site have tried at least one if not both powders I listed.

Good Luck Hunting,

W.K.