Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
powder throwers... >

powder throwers...

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

powder throwers...

Old 03-13-2010, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default powder throwers...

i feel bad for hijacking the thread about priming...so we'll farther our discussion so mauser can learn...

y'all were saying throwers can get within .2-.5gr...

what do y'all do? say you want it to throw 60gr...set it to throw 59 or 59.5 and trickle the rest in???

i didnt think they would be that consistent...but if they are, and you could avoid over charges, they could save alot of time...i say that because i find it easier to trickle powder in than try to lower a charge i went over on...

what throwers are good ones?? im probably lookin to get one for pistol and AR loading...just because if im shooting mild loads, .2-.5gr really wont bother me a whole lot where it will from my hunting rifles...but could set it up for the scoped rifles as well to save me time...if it'll save me time...
Old 03-13-2010, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use single stage presses, and use an RCBS thrower for pistol loads or to speed up the process on rifle loads if I am using my old 5-10 scales. The thrower does a fine job for the pistol loading without having to weigh every load unless you are working close to maximum. Even with the pistol loading, I weigh every tenth load on scales.
Using the older scales is quite a bit slower than the new electronic sets, and it is very useful to throw a short charge with the thrower and finish off with a powder trickler.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:08 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Risasi
My understanding is that the RCBS Competition model is a good deal. It's essentially the UniFlow with a micrometer adjustment and powder baffle.
The powder baffle is invaluable. You won't get within .5gr without it with some powders like 7828. I didn't believe it and a poster Briman a few years ago suggested it. He was correct. Micrometer is not that useful.

If I want to load at 60gr, I set it up to throw under that but as close as possible. In other words, if I start getting loads over that, I adjust down 1/8 turn. I don't like dumping out kernals one at a time back in the hopper but don't mind trickling in.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get yourself a Lyman 1200DPS and never look back...
Old 03-14-2010, 08:21 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Risasi
I would imagine that the micrometer would be useful if you switch back and forth between different powders/calibers. At least it would be easier to get you in the ball park, it seems.
True, I use notches in my thrower. But it only takes me maybe 5 trys to get in the ballpark and start loading. Another toy. If you got the flow, give it a try.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:22 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by jeepkid
I know PAwildman got one and the verdict is still out on if he liked it. Read all the reviews, and some have no issues, and others sent them back 3 times.

Chargemaster seems to have overall better review. I know a bunch of my friends with chargemasters and none have issues.

I keep wanting to try out PA's

Old 03-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid

Concur, I bought mine as a DPMS II, then got the speed upgrade kit to make it a DPMS III, throws charges to within .3 gr consistancy. A 60 gr charge is thrown in under 30 seconds. No different settings for different powders like the RCBS and some others.

I usually set for 1/2 gr under the desired load and trickle up.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bigcountry
I know PAwildman got one and the verdict is still out on if he liked it. Read all the reviews, and some have no issues, and others sent them back 3 times.

Chargemaster seems to have overall better review. I know a bunch of my friends with chargemasters and none have issues.

Mine will throw within .1gr, if it goes over it will beep to let you know. Did have to send it back once, but it was mainly my fault. It has always been dead on with the 10/10 scale. I like it, the PACT is suppose to be quicker and the RCBS is suppose to be a good unit also...
Old 03-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have an RCBS Uniflow with micrometer and baffle.
Works great and lets me quickly go between rifle to pistol weights.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry

............I just wrote a 3 paragraph response to bc and I was told I didn't have permission to perform this function. Unfriggin believeavable!!! I'm gonna go back and gather my composure and try to respond again. Sometimes this site puts my bloodpressure past acceptable limits......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.