Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Progressive reloader >

Progressive reloader

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Progressive reloader

Old 03-06-2010, 09:20 AM
Spike

Default Progressive reloader

I presently own a Rock Chucker and numerous dies but haven't used them in years. I was thinking about getting back into and this time buying a progressive reloader. I was interested in the Dillion 550 or the 650. I will be reloading for auto pistol and several rifle calibers. Do I need to spend the extra money to buy the 650 model over the 550? Will my rock chucker dies work on the Dillion? Any other things I need to consider on know about.

Thank you!!
Old 03-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 550 is not auto indexing, leaving the chance for a double charge.
Check out the Hornady LNL AP . It compares closely to the 650 as far as features and is priced like the 550. Plus Hornady has the free bullets deal going on.
Your current 7/8 -14 thread dies will work on all of the mentioned presses.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

HT could you explain how you could double charge with the 550 ,confused me .
Old 03-07-2010, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

The powder drop is automatic. The indexing is not. You cycle the handle without indexing forward and you get a secong charge. Messy with rifle rounds as most will not have enough capacity for a double but some pistol cases will hold it.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Spike

What accessories should I buy with this Hornady LNL? Any suggestions on what company to buy the progressive from?

I know a guy who "might" sell his Hornady LNL progressive. It is one year old. What do you think is a fair price. I know little about the specifics about what to ask so anything you can share is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 03-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go 75% of new.
You will need a scale, a caliper, primer flip tray to start
Also a couple of reloading manuals.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Banned

Don't even waste your time with the Hornady. Auto indexing doesn't make a hill of beans. The Dillion RL550 is the best and most popular progressive press on the market. Hands down.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Risasi
Don't even waste your time with the Hornady. Auto indexing doesn't make a hill of beans.
It is rare to hear of a unhappy Hornady owner. Hornady is a quality company with great customer service and products

As far as auto indexing..... I think you should try a press with auto indexing and a 550 you can then decide.