Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Setting OAL with lee loader >

Setting OAL with lee loader

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Setting OAL with lee loader

Old 03-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Typical Buck

Though i referred to myself as a dumb hillbilly big country I am not ignorant just new to reloading, I knew how to adjust the OAL, My question should have been worded is there a way to set OAL the first time exactly, without experimenting, as no manuals I read covered this issue I thought it was an intelligent question.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:34 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by podunk kennels
Though i referred to myself as a dumb hillbilly big country I am not ignorant just new to reloading, I knew how to adjust the OAL, My question should have been worded is there a way to set OAL the first time exactly, without experimenting, as no manuals I read covered this issue I thought it was an intelligent question.
most of us use dummy rounds we make up, but still have to adjust a "crushing factor". In other words, you could set a dummy round to the OAL you like, and then setup your seater to touch that bullet, but still going to be .01" or so longer.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:10 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks, i thought maybe there was a surefire way to set it right at the length my recipe calls for then pop em out right at that length.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

bc's right....Make up dummy rounds to repeat the seating depth and store them somewhere. Write down what it is (bullet, wt., etc.) and the OAL. Keep a log. If you're like me, you think you'll remember this stuff, but it all starts to run together after awhile. Write it down. Be sure to check your subsiquent loadings with calipers. Chances are that you are PROBABLY going to have to tweak the seater plug a tad to repeat the setting. That's just the way it works............. But you will or should be darned close.