Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Trap & 5 Stand

Old 02-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Trap & 5 Stand

I did some research but wanted to know what some of you thought on these recipes.

Fiocchi primers for both trap and 5 stand (sporting clays)

Trap
1 1/8 7.5 shot
Winchester AA and Remington Gun Club Hulls
WAA12 claybuster wad
17.5 grains IMR 700X Powder

5 Stand
1 7.5 shot
Federal Top Gun Hulls
12S0 claybuster wad
17.5 grains IMR 700X Powder

I did read Remington Gun Club hulls have a higher pressure than AA hulls and that federal top gun hulls are only for 1 1/8 loads. I like using federal hulls (cheap) and just let them fly where trap is slower pace and AA and gun club are nice to reload time after time. Am i in the right direction or ? thanks
Old 02-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

The load you list for your trap load is nearly identical to the load I used for many years when I was shooting trap a lot. I used Win. #209 primers and AA hulls , Rem. RXP wads (don't know if they even make them anymore, but whatever wad it takes to give you the right shot column length), and 17.5 gr. 700X, 7 1/2 shot. Yeah, you got that one right, for sure. Never shot any sporting clays, but feel it should work for them too.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:04 PM
Spike

Why use 2 different loads? I would just use the AA and Gunclubs. It's cheaper to just buy the AA wads than to buy federal type wads and keep them seperate. If you're getting a load at 1145-1200fps, you'll be fine shooting trap or sporting clays. I shoot ATA singles (AA class), 25 yard handicap, and doubles (A class) with the same shell and never have to change anything but the choke from 16 to 25. I get the same dust from the clay at both yardages. I use AA hulls, AA 11/8oz wads (35 lbs of pressure), win 209 primers, and 17.5gn of Red Dot. We had it measured and our velocity is right around 1170fps. It's the ultimate load for everything and that was my goal. A lot of people will change loads for this and that, use Nitro 27s for handicap and I just think that's rediculous, plus they punch really really hard. It's unecessary to have multiple loads when one will work for everything. Save your self time and money. Get a powder scale (if you don't already have one) and have your velocity measured if you can.

Last edited by jararaca10; 12-30-2010 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Needed to include more personal opinion.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good advice. I use the same load also for 16 yd. singles, handicap, Annie Oakleys and doubles.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot the same exact load except that I use 17.0-700x and 1oz of Mag 8's for trap upto the 20yd line and then go to 1-1/8th of 8's over 20yds. I as well shoot AA class and only change chokes from 16 to 27yd. When it is real hot out I will shoot 9's in place of 8's up to the 20 yd line. Great load!!!!! I even load the same thing out of Fed. Paper hulls also.