Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

35 whelen...

Old 02-18-2010, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I try to keep load density at 85% or greater, the 4064 puts me at 90-95% so I'm happy there. I did the spring on mine dropped the pull down to about 3 1/2 lbs from 6 lbs, big difference.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

good to hear about the trigger! im holding off on the next range trip till i get it..but i ordered it yesterday...shouldnt take too long to get here...

my RE15 load densities are high...with a max of 59 as per noslers 6th edition and 225gr accubonds, id be at 101%...

i got loads worked up to test...i have a buddy that handloads and has more remington pumps than your average guy (collector but shoots a bunch of them..and his entire family and camp does as well..) he says hes never seen one that didnt like loads close or at max levels...so we'll see...i think on a good day, that 57.5gr charge would print a nicer group...and the bore is still new so it can settle down there as well...

cant wait to see what i can get outta the rifle...looks promising so far though...just gotta keep range sessions short or suck it up...57.5 was a bit stiff...im not real recoil sensative...but ive heard alot of complaints about the whelen...and i can see why...59gr and its gunna hit a little bit...and i dont like hunting with rubber recoil pads..they snag when i shoulder the gun where plastic ones slide into place...i think i'll be fine...just gotta quit when i start feeling it so i dont start flinching...but im usually fine with recoil...when i rattle a tooth loose i might back off lol..
Old 02-18-2010, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeh, that recoil on the 7600 is pretty stout, you know that you can get a recoil pad or a buttstock for a 20 ga 870 and it will work.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

i do...but, im avoiding a rubber butt pad if i can help it...bear and deer drives, i need to shoulder quick...ive had rubber butt pads snag my vest and mess up the whole process where my plastic ones seem to slide and not catch like rubber...

reality is i wont be shooting this rifle off a bench a whole lot...once i work up a load and get it shooting well, i might burn 20rds a year after that...

i'll never feel the recoil when i jump a bear and send an accubond his way...

so if i can survive the plastic butt pad, i'll stick with it...though a good rubber pad would make a world of difference...

never reloading before, i was shocked at what a difference 2.5grs made goin from 55 to 57.5gr...world of difference...actually on the note of "rattling teeth loose..." i do have a cut on the inside of my check i know is from the recoil lol...happens when im shootin heavy hitters as i keep my head tight to the stock and low..
Old 02-18-2010, 11:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like the "black cheek syndrome" I get when I shoot my .54
Old 02-19-2010, 07:34 AM
Fork Horn

How hard is the spring replacement to do? I know the trigger pull on my 7600 is pretty stiff. Also, where did you order the spring from?
Old 02-19-2010, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

a friend recommended this one.....

http://www.barnesgunparts.com/reming...-760-740-.html

but theres others if you look around...i just went with that one because my buddy has a bunch from there and said he has no trouble and they worked well....

http://www.erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/i37.html

actually has directions on that site.....should be about a 30 second job...
Old 02-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also available on Ebay, which is where I got mine.
http://cgi.ebay.com/REMINGTON-7600-7...item335a3594bb

It's very simple, all you need is a mallet, punch and needle nose pliers. Tap out the pins for the trigger group, remove the spring, install new one and reinstall trigger group. It comes with directions. Start to finish less than 10 minutes.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

yes the over the counter 35 ammo is expensive, but thats when you can find it. I got into this reloading because no one in my area keeps more than a couple of boxes on hand.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

the shop i bought the whelen from had a box of corelokts he tried to sale me...i wanted the gun so bad i wasnt tryin to talk him down in price...but i wasnt payin 35$ for a box of junk ammo!

it ate at me for a few weeks not to shoot my new rifle...but, im a handloader now....and i love it...wish i got into it years ago...but honestly never had a big enough reason...ammo for the pistols and toys was cheap till a few years back...and i never shot my hunting rifles a whole lot and only had 1 CF until a few years back i got my 22-250 and now my whelen...

the 22-250 was a decent reason, but i was shooting sub-moa with factory stuff so not enough to get me into handloading...but not way i was gunna pay 50+$ a box for good factory ammo...plus shipping...

im in love with handloading...its a blast...and another hobby/skill to the list...but, i'll always have ammo...as soon as i find loads for all my hunting rifles, im buying and loading enough to last my lifetime...

when the ban lead bullets, which i think we will end up seeing, im gunna be in a jam....hopefully they just stop production and i can still shoot the stuff i got...coz i'll honestly have enough loaded to last me for the rest of my time...atleast big game rifles that wont get shot a whole lot...22-250 i might burn a bunch each year...

although loading on a single stage, im going to load for my AR and my pistols as well...snowed in winter day i can crank out some ammo...it'll add up...give me somethin to do...and i'll have ammo when its hard to find and/or expensive...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.