Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Once fired brass. >

Once fired brass.

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Once fired brass.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:51 AM
Spike

Default Once fired brass.

Please tell me how important, as far as accuracy goes,is it to reload from brass that has been at least once from your rifle? Has anyone shot their pet load from both new cases and then cases that were fired from their rifle and compared groups?
Old 01-13-2010, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unimportant. I only FL size..accuracy has never been troubled because the brass came from another rifle.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it is NEW brass, even FL sizing may not uniform the brass. It must be fireformed to the chamber to be consistent. I have documented that I get best accuracy from fireformed brass neck-sized vs new brass just neck-sized or FL sized.

If the brass was fired in a different rifle then FL sized, I'm not sure how much of a difference you will notice as the first firing should expand it out enough to be sized back uniformly by the die.

I prefer to match the brass to the gun and neck size only (for a bolt gun).
Old 01-13-2010, 07:15 AM
bigcountry

Up to 200 yards, no big deal. When you reach out to 500-800 yards, things start changing. With once fired brass in my gun, collet sized I can see std dev. go down to 10-15fps with large magnums and even less with varmit rounds. With new or mixed brass FL sized I can see std dev. up to 80fps. You start seeing egg shaped groups or vertical stringing long distance.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not enough to be worried about. Optimal would be fire formed and neck sized. but honestly, I have seen only minuscule improvement with neck sizing over full length sizing. That's just me, others may have different results.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Under normal hunting conditions - like BC said, you won't notice a difference. Off the bench at long range, probably.
But for hunting I will always use FL sized. I want those rounds to feed flawlessly if I need a quick second shot. A fireformed case may cause enough 'stickyness' to lose a chance at a second shot
Old 01-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Spike

Thank you, Rusty
Old 01-14-2010, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

Tha average off-the-shelf anything will never be able to tell, the slop in the neck, sometimes .006-9 per side cut by the factory these days will destroy everything elses affect/effect on accuracy. You need a custom cut chamber will tight tolerances before you need to worry about such things.. most of the off-the-shelfers today are lucky to be shooting inch or inch and half groups..after firing a shell or firing it on an empty chamber grab the bolt and see how much play there is..try it on a custom action and see the difference. I have found that if I size only about 1/3 of the neck, and let the cartridge swell to fill the chamber that I can really improve the accuracy but for big game hunting and cartridges it's just not needed and after all your shooting at a volleyball sized heart lung at least, I really don't care if it's shooting 2 inch groups as long as the action functions correctly that all that matters for the most part... good luck!
Old 01-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Reloading would never exist

if cases were only used once or twice.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dead on
Has anyone shot their pet load from both new cases and then cases that were fired from their rifle and compared groups?
Many many times. I shoot a ton of prairie dogs and we use up some brass. In general fireformed brass is more accurate for me. I only neck size unless I just have to shoulder bump them to chamber.