Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Is there a difference in bullets? >

Is there a difference in bullets?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Is there a difference in bullets?

Old 01-12-2010, 04:51 AM
Fork Horn

P-Wolf is corect, the internal structure of the bullet has alot to do with what is safe in one gun and not in another.. as the explosion occurs some bullets will physically react differently that other bullets, this core and % of ingrediants are different also it's bearing surface, how much metal actually touchks the barrel and alot of other physical conditions ALL affect and effect pressure...plus the individual characteristics of each gun enters into the equations...I always start low for a few shots and see and feel what the ejected cartridge is like, I myself use only coated bullets, Moly and most of the time DANZAC, I'm finding that I can take things alot higher than what is printed, but WHY, it really serves no purpose other than flattening the trajectory.. it wears the throat and is hard on cases.. lately, it seems that once I get one to reach 3000 fps, that's enough, no animal can survive a chest hit at that velocity and hit with a great bullet... I use only Nosler Partitions and Barnes X-bullets.. I see no reason for anything else....
Old 01-13-2010, 04:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

cuda - Try not to get caught up in the premium bullet craze. Unless you have the extra money to shell out for them. I've shot a lot of deer with the old .270 using 130 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and Hornady Interlocks and never, never had one travel more than 30 yds. Most dropping where they stood. And the Noslers would shoot under an inch all day long with 55 gr of IMR4350 out of my 700.
Now if you are in an area where you cannot use leaded bullets or if you want to push your .270 for use on elk or other bigger animals then by all means use the Barnes bullets. However, if deer are the biggest thing you are going for, save your $$.
Just some friendly advice.